Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3490 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    John Underwood

Default Ingraham manufacture date?

I purchase an Ingraham REGENT mantle clock at auction. One the back of the case is the Ingraham name and location, along with the clock name (REGENT) and a patent date of 1885.

The front of the movement has Ingraham and two patent dates (the last patent date is Nov. 11, 1879). There are no other numbers or dates on the movement.

I read somewhere that Ingraham started putting manufacture dates on the movements somewhere around 1898-1899.

Am I correct in assuming this clock was made somewhere between 1885 and 1897?

John Underwood

Default Ingraham manufacture date? (RE: John Underwood)

I purchase an Ingraham REGENT mantle clock at auction. One the back of the case is the Ingraham name and location, along with the clock name (REGENT) and a patent date of 1885.

The front of the movement has Ingraham and two patent dates (the last patent date is Nov. 11, 1879). There are no other numbers or dates on the movement.

I read somewhere that Ingraham started putting manufacture dates on the movements somewhere around 1898-1899.

Am I correct in assuming this clock was made somewhere between 1885 and 1897?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

John, welcome to the message board. According to Tran Duy Ly's Ingraham book, the Regent was in a 1907 catalogue. It looks like yours except for the bezel and dial. There is no mention of when they started dating their movements. Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

The date of manufacture may be on the movement. Take the back off an look for numbers stamped on the movement. If it's there it will be in month year format. Unfortunately it may be stamped on the side of the movement that you cannot see. If thatís the case the movement will have to be removed from the case.
    Or the face of the clock has to be removed to see the date.

Tom
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

John Underwood

Thanks for your replies. I have had the movement out of the case to clean and lubricate the bearing points. There are no other numbers on the movement, other than the ones I mentioned above.

SIDE NOTE: FYI Anyone wishing to "spiff up" a black laquered clock case without out affecting the original finish (and value) can use Kiwi or any brand of black shoe wax. A light coat of black shoe wax will fill in and darken many of the little nicks in the finish, and if you have a military background, you will know that a "spit shine" will really give it some luster. For you non military people: Just buff the wax, then use a cotton ball dipped in water and with a bit of wax and polish in small circular motions until you get the desired degree of shine. A mirror like finish is possible with enough elbow grease.

Thanks for your help