Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2714 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Clickman

Default Blind Man's Clock

I just picked up my first ever, a Blind Man's Clock. I could not find any marking that would show who made it. It is old and appears to be English made. Huge case. Are there many of these still out there ?

Default Re: Blind Man's Clock (RE: Clickman)

Ohhh, nice one... I like how it drops down like that!

Greg

I am sooooo confused....Is there supposed to be a picture attached?

JJ

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

If there is I don't see one either J J. Is this like a Vienna regulator, Clickman ? Mike
    Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

Clickman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike306p/Ansoniaman
    If there is I don't see one either J J. Is this like a Vienna regulator, Clickman ? Mike
    Yes it is. It has the 3 brass weights. It looks just like Vienna regulator except for the way it strikes. I thought that was really unusual. You wouldn't have to be blind to use it. It would be nice to have for in the middle of the night when you wonder what time it is. The owner got it at a flea market near Houston, but there is no way he will part with it.

Clickman

Quote Originally Posted by glr1109
    Ohhh, nice one... I like how it drops down like that!

Greg
    It has two count racks. One for the quarter hours count, and one for the hour count. I should have taken a photo of it when I had the face off, but didn't think of it.

Clickman

Quote Originally Posted by inbeat
    I am sooooo confused....Is there supposed to be a picture attached?

JJ
    No there was not a picture attached.

Hello clickman,

The strike pattern that you have is properly called "grand sonnerie" this is where the clock strikes once on the 1st quarter on one gong and then repeats the last hour on a 2nd gong, then 2 for the half, repeat, 3 for 3/4, repeat etc.....While not common in some areas this is not rare. It is found on many true Vienna regulators (those made in Vienna) and on clocks made in the Vienna regulator style in Germany and other places. It is also found on other style clocks other than Vienna regulators including spring wound clocks.

This is, as you said, sometimes called a "blind man's clock". The one in my hallway lets me know what time it is if I happen to be awake when it strikes.

Below is a nice example:

Regards

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3wttnr..jpg  
    Best,
    Richard T.

clockdaddy

I've only seen one of the so called Blind man's clock in my area. It's a beautiful Vienna Regulator fabricated in Germany.
    Richard's right about the strike pattern. By listening to the strike you know what the hour is as well and what quarter of the hour it is. When I first saw the movement I was a little hesitant to take it apart, but after getting into it, it really wasn't that bad.

In case anyone wants one for their collection...I know an old watch repairman that has one in great shape. Be ready to get sticker shock...2800 is the asking price. I don't really know if that's good or bad. I just know that's a lot of repairs!!!!!!

CD

SORRY, about creating confusion....I was "giddy" yesterday(probably too many fumes)...anyway I was a attempting to make a joke...working off of the facts that...there was no photo and it was a Blind man's Clock.

greg

Clickman

Richard, I have a carbon copy of yours. Thanks for the history. I had just never seen nor heard of one before.
    I'ed sure like to get hold of this one. It's a beauty to me.
    Thanks again.

I have the almost identical clock on the bench now. It needed some moulds replaced and two finials. It is a "Resch-Gebrueder, Ebensee, Austria. It has the 'Remember' trademark "RG", signifying that it was made in the old Resch factory, but under the Junghans management. "Remember" is the commemoration of Junghands daughter's marriage and was used after 1901 until the start of WW1.