Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4679 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Elgin Watches

connorsa

Default Elgin Watches

My grandfather's Elgin watch (s/n 3012772) was given to me and I am interested in finding out some additional information on the company/store that may have sold it to him. The trade mark on the inside reads "C.W.C. Co" over Planet Trade Mark. The number below is 483243. I checked the serial number and found out the watch was made in 1888. I also know my grandfather lived in the Glens Falls area of New York State if that is of any help.

connorsa

Default Elgin Watches (RE: connorsa)

My grandfather's Elgin watch (s/n 3012772) was given to me and I am interested in finding out some additional information on the company/store that may have sold it to him. The trade mark on the inside reads "C.W.C. Co" over Planet Trade Mark. The number below is 483243. I checked the serial number and found out the watch was made in 1888. I also know my grandfather lived in the Glens Falls area of New York State if that is of any help.

connorsa:

If you've checked out the serial number (3,012,772) and found out the date, then perhaps you've also learned that it is a grade No. 74. Did you check out The 1887 S. F. Myers & Co. Catalog at Wayne Schlitt's great Elgin Website? Its got a listing for the Elgin grade No. 74.

Only a small percentage of American watches were cased at the factories prior to the mid-1920's. Most watch companies just made movements in industry standard sizes. The case companies made cases in those same sizes. The practice at that time was to go to a jeweler, select the quality of the movement and then pick out the desired style and quality of case. The jeweler would then fit the movement to the case in a matter of moments.

Or, watches were sold by mail-order. Large outfits such as Sears, Roebuck & Co., Montgomery Ward, or T. Eaton, would offer the movements in a variety of cases of different design and quality in their catalogs. Smaller mail-order retailers would case the watches, typically in a 20-year gold filled case and offer it only that way, with the buyer not having a choice of cases.

The "C.W.C. Co" over Planet indicates that the case was made by the Crescent Watch Case Co. and that "Planet" is the grade (quality) of the case.

I don't believe that there are any surviving Elgin records that would show who actually retailed the watch. The best that could be hoped for would be a record of which distributor Elgin sold the watch to, and I don't believe that these have survived.

You might be able to trace it working backwards, searching through the Glens Falls records of businesses of 1887-1894 looking for jewelery stores. Newspaper files might have ads from those jewelers who sold Elgin watches. All told, I don't think you'll come much closer than an uncertain maybe of where your grandfather could have bought the watch.

Good luck,
    Kent
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

connorsa

Thank you for the information on the case. As you said this search may not turn up the actual answer but I am enjoying the search anyways. You also have a nice web-site and pocket watches are of an interest to me as well.