Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    J.S.H.

Default Grandfather Clock Chiming Slow After Oiling...

Hello All,

Did a little maintenance on a Howard Miller grandfather clock today that was chiming slow. Thought maybe a little oiling and cleaning would do the trick as it had not been serviced for 4 years or more. It is still chiming slowly, any ideas or sugestions would be much appreciated.

Serial Number: 6864350323
    MS008
    116 cm
    354-435

Thank you.

J.S.H.

Default Grandfather Clock Chiming Slow After Oiling... (RE: J.S.H.)

Hello All,

Did a little maintenance on a Howard Miller grandfather clock today that was chiming slow. Thought maybe a little oiling and cleaning would do the trick as it had not been serviced for 4 years or more. It is still chiming slowly, any ideas or sugestions would be much appreciated.

MS008
    116 cm
    354-435

Thank you.

Very probably needs dismantled and cleaned thoroughly. THEN the oil. That stuff the factory uses, gels and makes a gooey mess that further oiling won't release. The goo needs removed first.

Paul Faf

The shell weighs are different Heavy weight goes on right- correct. Not tryin to insult. Some just don't know if they don't know.

J.S.H.

Hi Scottie,

It really didn't seem that bad when I worked on it, but your sugestion is a good one and makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

J.S.H.

Aloha Paul,

You needn't worry about insulting. Often times we do tend to overlook the simple things. However. The clock is only three years old and the weights were clearly marked so there was no mistaking where they needed to go. I do suppose though that they could have been mislabeled. Maybe I should add a digital scale to my toolbox. Thanks for your input.
    Originally posted by Paul Faf:
    The shell weighs are different Heavy weight goes on right- correct. Not tryin to insult. Some just don't know if they don't know.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

J.S.H., after only 3 years I wouldn't expect to see any wear on bushings. A digital scale is essential to eliminate possible mixups on weights, and to make sure that they were right from the factory. If this is a cable model, check cable drum for any overwrap of cable (happens when customer decides to assist weight when winding clock).
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Paul Faf

Good tip Harold. J.S.H. as long as the chime is running. Run the chimes until the weight hits the bottom of the case or a little further if possible. The drum that the cable winds on has a plastic cover that will slow down or stop motion if over lapped as Harold mentioned. Always wind with weight hanging. Howard Miller has a Service Centers if you still get hung up. It sounds like your just off guarentee.

J.S.H.

What I don't understand is that the weights were not over lapped at all. The movement looked reasonably clean too. The chimes are still playing slow. I suppose the next steps might be to check the weights and then give the movement an ultrasonic wash. Thanks for your input.

J.S.H.

The bushings looked good. And yes, it was a cable model. There was no overwrap of cable. Im sure there is a simple answer to this. Thanks for your help.

Hey John-

Are you sure this clock is only three years old? The serial number should start with MF003... if it was made in 2003. Age really makes a difference when dealing with these Keininger movements. Not to be picky, but your first post mentioned it hadn't been serviced in the last four years.

The plating will start to flake after about 7 years and become imbedded in the walls of the pivot holes. No amount of ultrasonic cleaning will remove the particles and in fact, it will make it worse. You must disassemble the movement, peg out the holes, and bush any severely worn pivot holes.

That's been my experience anyway...

J.S.H.

Hi David,

What I should have said was that the people who purchased it did so three years ago from Bailey's furniture store and it has not been serviced since. The only information I have on it is this.
    MS008
    116 cm
    354-435
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LaBounty:
    Hey John-

Are you sure this clock is only three years old? The serial number should start with MF003... if it was made in 2003. Age really makes a difference when dealing with these Keininger movements. Not to be picky, but your first post mentioned it hadn't been serviced in the last four years.

The plating will start to flake after about 7 years and become imbedded in the walls of the pivot holes. No amount of ultrasonic cleaning will remove the particles and in fact, it will make it worse. You must disassemble the movement, peg out the holes, and bush any severely worn pivot holes.

That's been my experience anyway... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

J.S.H.

Just contacted Butterworth's and it is their opinion that the movement is 3 years old according to the serial number. The saga continues....

I had a problem like this and asked for help It was suggested that I polish the pivots on the chime train and check for a bent pivot I polished the pivots and it took care of the problem Al

J.S.H.

I'll give it a go. Thanks much for your help.