Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4194 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    railman

Default If someone has their initials engraved on the case does

that detract from the value of the watch? I would think it would...

[This message has been edited by railman (edited 10-30-2002).]

railman

Default If someone has their initials engraved on the case does (RE: railman)

that detract from the value of the watch? I would think it would...

[This message has been edited by railman (edited 10-30-2002).]

Lindell V. Riddle

Jim,

Some cases have such a beautifully intertwined artistic monogram that it literally "makes" an otherwise plain case very desirable. On the other hand plain initials on a shield can detract. Most collectors prefer that a shield be plain, and when it comes to inscriptions on presentation pieces, they can make or break the value.

I can tell you I would never add engraving, but in my opinion a monogram or inscription that is clearly period to the piece and inoffensive can actually add to interest, and thereby desireability. For example I recently found a case beautifully inscribed in German that translates as, "In Rememberance of Your Birthday from Your Devoted Son, Carl... September 2, 1890" which speaks for itself. On the other hand, one with a presentation to the head of a church building committee would make me yawn. One reflecting a date out of sync with the time the watch was made can severely detract, for example an inscription dated 1958 on a watch built 50 years earlier has a highly detrimental effect in my view.

Railroad inscriptions are of interest to RR collectors, Masonic and other fraternal organization references are very popular, and your initial may interest you far more than it would me. A watch with legitimate box and papers is further enhanced when the initials on the case match those of the buyer on the bill of sale or guarantee papers.

In other words Jim, this is a "case by case" determination we collectors make, and the pun is very much intended.

Lindell V. Riddle
    [edit=723=1199047033][/edit]

Barry G

It depends on the watch, the style of the engraving, the quality of the engraving, and your own personal aesthetic taste....

I love watch cases that have the really fancy "English Style" engravings on them, as in the following example:

This style of engraving, in my opinion, is a form of art in its own right and adds immensely to the value of the watch.

On the other hand, I really hate the style of engraving that I see on many American watches from the early 1900s with deeply cut, curvy letters. I don't have an example to show of this type, since I really don't like them and don't have any cases like that in my collection.

As for shields that have small initials, I usually don't care one way or another. They neither add nor subtract from the value. With older, "historically important" watches, I do think they add to the value if it can be proven that the initials belonged to the original owner and were not added later.

Regards,

Barry

------------------
    My Online Pocket Watch Collection

Blog Entries

I generally like well executed monograms even the later ones. I will even accept modern engraving if it is a second generation family commemoration. The one Barry dislikes is this one I think.

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

By the way, if anyone has one of these they do not want, I would be willing to take it off your hands. :biggrin:

------------------
    Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web

[This message has been edited by Tom McIntyre (edited 10-30-2002).]
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

At the last watch meet in Columbia SC I saw a Bunn Spl with the inscription
    " Jan 27, 19
    Sgt Frank ------- a safe return from France
    Love Mother and Father"

The watch mfg date was appropriate for the inscription date.

It was so cool.

Barry G

Tom,

Yes, that's the type I was referring to; I just don't like em, and I don't want em (although I will admit that your example seems nicer than most I have seen).

Barry

------------------
    My Online Pocket Watch Collection