Month's Goal: $300, Received: $10.00 - (3%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3289 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Disposal of Cleaning fluid (RE: ticktock)

What is the proper way to dispose of used clock movement cleaning fluid. I am speaking of the ammonia type.

Default Disposal of Cleaning fluid

What is the proper way to dispose of used clock movement cleaning fluid. I am speaking of the ammonia type.

Around here T.T. they usually have hazardous waste disposal day every couple of weeks sponsored by the county and they'll take paint,solvents,and other things of that nature if you bring it to their site.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Blog Entries

The fire dept. in my area is like the one Bob mentioned. They have an annual day when dangerous chemicals are accepted for disposal. But in my area, there a four fire stations in a city of just under 1 million people that will accept these chemicals on any day, at any time, year round. You might want to contact the fire headquarters in your area to see if your fire dept. does the same thing. It is in the best interests of fire dept. personnel to reduce the risk at private residences in the event of fire. Most sanitary landfill depots have facilities to accept these chemicals as well, but you have to take it, and you have to pay.

Blog Entries

ticktock:

Some contributors to this board feel it is OK to dump ammonia cleaner down the sewer, but I don't think they are considering all of the oil, grease, and other crud that is suspended in the dirty cleaning fluid. This stuff can really pollute!

Here we are working our buns off to preserve old clocks in as pristine a condition as possible; we should do no less to preserve the environment.

I think Robert and Doug both have the right attitude as to the proper disposal of any used cleaning fluid.

RobertG

DrewV

Good point, Robert. But I think it also depends on the volume of cleaner you're disposing and how much grease and oil are suspended in there.

For me, I do only a couple of movements a month, so there is maybe a 1/4-teaspoonful of oil and grease (if that) that gets cleaned off from only one or two movements. While I agree that this is certainly not helping the environment, I can't help but not feel guilty when I see cars dripping quarts of oil all over the driveway and in parking lots every day.

I mean, seriously, there's more oil contained in a greasy hand rag after I finish tuning up my car than there is in the cleaning solution for my clock movements. And that rag goes right into the garbage. Think of all the auto mechanics who do the same thing every minute of every day.

My quart of "biodegradeable" (or so they claim) cleaning solution per month poured down the drain can hardly compare with that. While I feel slightly guilty about doing it, I'm not overly concerned. But I do agree that if you've got gallons of the stuff, it should probably be disposed of in a more proper manner.

Don Havens

Tick,

Dump it in the yard and see if it kills weeds!!

Don

I think it's terrible to pour cleaning solutions down the drain. Think of the polution.
    That's why I never flush my toilet.
    Brian C.
    Brian C.
    Chapter 149 Member

Blog Entries

TAKE IT INTO A CONTROLLED DUMP SITE THAT HANDLES TOXIC MATERIALS

TAKE IT INTO AN OIL RECLAMATION SITE

Brian,

Now I know why you're full of it.

Tom Chaudoir

Your spent cleaning solution will contain;
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Water.
    <LI>Soap.
    <LI>Ammonia.
    <LI>Dirt and grease.
    <LI>Bits of brass and iron.[/list]

Water isn't a problem, of course.

Soap goes down the drain with no guilt.

Ammonia is a natual byproduct of decomposition of any organic waste.

Dirt and grease go down the drain when you wash your hands after working on anything mechanical.

Brass is copper and zinc. Neither are heavy metals that threaten the ecology.

Iron is added to food to keep us healthy.

If you feel bad about flushing it, take Don's advice and dump it on your weeds. JMO

Regards,

Nice one Tom.

Mike K. Ha ha ha.
    Brian C.
    Brian C.
    Chapter 149 Member