Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3236 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    firemanswife67

Default Mantle clock identification (RE: firemanswife67)

I recently purchased this mantle clock at an estate auction. I am having a devil of a time figuring out the actual maker.
    The works and the face both say Urgos, but I have been told and read that Urgos only made works for clock companies, that they did not make their own clocks.
    I can find no other marking on this clock anywhere outside or inside.
    Any help from anybody will be appreciated.

Clock 1
    clock 2
    clock 3
    clock 4
    clock 5

firemanswife67

Default Mantle clock identification

I recently purchased this mantle clock at an estate auction. I am having a devil of a time figuring out the actual maker.
    The works and the face both say Urgos, but I have been told and read that Urgos only made works for clock companies, that they did not make their own clocks.
    I can find no other marking on this clock anywhere outside or inside.
    Any help from anybody will be appreciated.

Clock 1
    clock 2
    clock 3
    clock 4
    clock 5

You have a genuine Urgos trade marked mantel clock with the Urgos 340-020 or 1050-020 three train movement equipped with the Hettich patented floating balance escapement.

Most German clock movement makers abandoned the floating balance after about 1980. The reason is said to be to avoid paying royalty to Hettich who won a huge award and settlement for his patent escapement that several makers had been using without license.

Hettich had been a minor manufacturer for many many years but shut down operations and retired on the rivera with the settlement.

Urgos, according to Kochmann, was formed ca 1920 by Haller, Jauch, Pabst and Humminger making clock movements with a small work force until 1936 when they were pressed into making military products. Reformed after WWII and until rather recently, Urgos was a major maker of clock movements used by most of the Michigan furniture makers and others.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Greetings Firemanswife67 (& hello Les!). The Urgos Uhrenfabrik aka Haller, Jauch & Pabst did make their own complete clocks. An advertisement in the 1953 _Uhrmacher Jahrbuch_ for example has "Wir stellen her: Tisch-, Wand- und Hausuhren mit Halbstund Bim-Bam, Westminster und Dreispielwerken, KŁchen-, Wand-, Stil-, BŁro-Uhren, mit 8-tage-Ankerwerk, 4 Steine, Synchron-und Batteriewerke." And as one example of all these table and wall and house and office clocks and so there's a drawing of a clock that's kin to yours. The confusion about Urgos making only movements probably comes from when (30 June 1991) after the firm was liquidated, and the brand name and machinery were sold to the Firma Steinbach, which continued to make Urgos movements until 2001, when the name and machinery were sold to Hermle (according to Schmid's _Lexikon_). Yet all said, the neat thing about the firm was that name Urgos -- Igor's brother. Regards, Duck

firemanswife67

Why is it that there isn't alot of information about Urgos clocks available online? Anything that I have found has been mainly about the movements themselves and nothing with any pictures of an actual Urgos clock.
    Is there any website that will have pictures of Urgos clocks?

I can only speculate that the clock case styles offered by Urgos were not very popular in the US at the time Urgos was offering whole clocks.

Too, Urgos was supplying bare movements to American furniture makers in large quantities. It would not be a good marketing practice in my view for Urgos to "tap" the US retail clock market with their own brand while supplying Miller, Ridgeway, Herschedes, Trend and other furniture makers. Urgos probably didn't have an importing agent in the US; something that seems to be very important but what do I know about merchandizing?

That being said, mantel clocks with similar styling and age as yours do appear frequently on eBay sans the Urgos badge.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

I repaired an identical clock last year with the name "Solar" on the dial, and a Hermle movement. I see many different Tambour type mantels with the name "Solar" on them. They appear to be 30-40 years old.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

firemanswife67

It has been very frustrating finding out information about this particular clock. I have recently started collecting old clocks (thanks to my step-dad and grandmother). I just purchased 2 kitchen shelf clocks at a recent estate auction. One is a Sessions and the other is an Ingraham. Both were in working order. I was able to find out about those clocks with no problems. This one I also purchased at an estate auction for what I hope was a reasonable price ($27.00) I think that it is a veener finish which is not in the best shape. Cracked really bad. It currently does not work. So once I get at least one of my other clocks back from my clock guy, I will take this one in and let him go to town.
    I just like to have an idea of what my clocks might possibly be worth before I take them in (not very trusting I guess).
    I appreciate all the information so far.......

You might wish to take a somewhat broader view when wondering why there isn't more about Urgos made clocks (in their cases) on the Net. Or for that matter, elsewhere.

For one thing, the firm was just one among hundreds of German manufacturers. Not individual clockmakers, please note, but manufacturing firms. Hans-Heinrich Schmid actually lists 2,150 firms large and small for the period 1850-1980 in his _Lexikon_, and chose over 300 of them as worthy of fuller treatment. Urgos, although included among the 300, was middling in size, reasonably "modern" and not known for anything extraordinary.

Secondly, you'd need to have someone who had a special interest in Urgos who'd be willing to search for and collect catalogues and other material about Urgos.

And thirdly, this isn't as easy as it might seem. There's no convenient library that I'm familiar with that stocks old trade catalogues for even the largest German firms and makes them publicly available. Tran Duy Ly for instance didn't reprint Gustav Becker catalogues for the earlier years because he couldn't find any. Or as another example, I was only able to quote from a 1953 trade calendar because I have a personal copy of it that was hunted down in Europe by a friend (hi Fortunat!).

And hardly by the way, he was willing to share it with me, and I was willing to make the effort and take the time to do so with you. Which approaches the last of these broader reasons.

There are not many people -- evidently -- who are interested in gathering this Urgo material in the first place. And could also gather this material in the second, who are also then willing to share it freely on the web.

The Tran Duy Ly reprint catalogue volumes are, after all, commercial ventures. And their contents, however freely referred to, are not "freely down-loadable". The Ingraham and Sessions volumes go for somewhere around $50 each. Which is almost twice what you paid for your Urgos -- yet all are bargains, I believe, at that.

Regards, Duck

Any time you can get a westminster for under $30 I'd say it was a good deal :0)