Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3285 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: ARGENTAN

Default ARGENTAN

Hi cliffbarns:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the movement (the "works"), the clearer and sharper, the better. We may be able to identify it by the shape of the plates. In trying to open the watch, you might find the information in "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case", or Opening the Case useful.

For an open-face, screw back & bezel cased watch you can get good results by placing the movement on a flatbed scanner. A hunting-case movement, or an open-face movement in a hinged case would have to be removed from the case for this to work. Otherwise, it’ll have to be a digital camera, or a scan of a photograph.

Larry Jones has written up a useful article on Image Posting, which may be helpful.

Currently, Tom Chaudoir, the NAWCC Message Board Administrator, is recommending that those who do not have web space in which to post pictures register for a free account at flickr.com. Their menu-driven procedure for loading pictures is about as easy as it gets. After you enlarge the picture, using flickr's magnifying glass icon (the magnifying glass icon appears in a toolbar above the loaded & saved picture once you've clicked on the picture), scroll down below the picture to find the field labeled "1. Grab the photo's URL:" The link in that field is the one to post on the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board. The process is explained in detail in this Viv Rose old ref::NAWCC Clock Message Board Thread.

If you have a problem posting the picture(s), you can attach it (them) to an e-mail to me (you can get my email address by clicking on my name in the upper left-hand corner of this post and viewing my Public Profile) and I'll post it (them) for you.

Its also helpful if you can post all the markings that are on the movement (the "works") in case they can't be seen in the picture(s).

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

Default ARGENTAN (RE: Kent)

Swiss

Blog Entries

The Argentan name is likely someone's copyrighted name for the alloy the case is made out of, and not a maker's name. The HP mark is likely the case maker's trade mark. The maker of the case didn't make the movement. I noticed evidence of the maker's mark on the mechanism (the movement), right near the edge of the balance wheel (the spinning one in your picture). I suppose if you can show us a clear enlarged picrture of that trade mark, there is a chance (slim) that we might be able to tell you who made the movement.

Argentan is a play on Argent which is Latin for Silver. It is, if not outright fakery, close.

Possibly a Swiss form of "silveroid" or a nickel alloy?
    NAWCC LARC
    Volunteer

Blog Entries

Swiss silverine or nickeloid