Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1459 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator

Hello everyone,

Kind of on the subject of recent acquisitions, but with a question for all you experts out there. Today, my long awaited vienna regulator (an ebay purchase) arrived. The description on ebay was pretty limited, and I took a chance on it as the price was right. I love these clocks, and this is my third. When I eagerly unpacked it and examined the movement, it turned out to be by Gebruder Resch, a 'Remember' regulator, 2 weight in pretty good shape. I will need to clean the movement before I hang it and let it run, and one of the glass side panels is broken. Other than that I'm delighted with it. The movement serial number matches up nicely with the pendulum and bracket number, and being in the 2,7000 range, appears to be one of the last clocks made by the Gebruder Resch factory before Junghans took over.

I have researched the Gebruder Resch company a little, and know some of their history, however what has always perplexed me when looking at these clocks in the past is why they have 'Remember' stamped on the movement? It seems this is sometimes confused with the later Junghans 'Remembrance' mark, which I believe was applied after the marriage of one of Junghan's daughters. Anyone know the real origin of the 'Remember' mark?

Also, a question on the glass replacement. I'm reasonably adept with clock movements, but I am no expert when it comes to cases. The glass is held in place by wooden strips which appear to be nailed in place. How do I go about removing these to replace the glass panel without damaging them? Any advice will as always be gratefully received.

Denis

Default Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: DenisG)

MAN! Sure hope these Eck spurts arrive soon. Wiener Uhren. Ja! My affliction (addiction) too. I'm just learnin' but I Know "Resch" is a name in viennas. But until they do (arrive): On the glass retainer; I simply take a long blade X-Acto knife and look for a gap. Then I push the knife toward the nail and most often when it approaches the nail, the bond yields and the nail begins to raise. I continue with the other - usually only two. Worst case scenario? It splits if the nail doesn't yield and you can glue it before you reinstall or make an "aged" replacement. SURE would love to see a picture of your "RESCH" ! My challenge this morn is similar: They used PUTTY that has become ROCK-hard.

Registered user.

There is a web site... http://www.atmos-man.com/sweet.shtml
    You may want to look at. Item #54 on this list has a brief history of Resch. I think Scottie summed up the glass replacement nicely.

congrats, I have a Remember on my wall and it keeps great time and I really enjoy it.

Hi Scottie,

Thanks for the info. I plan to post some pics of the clock as soon as I can. Are you from Texas by any chance? Anyway, thanks also for the advice on removing the glass retainer. I'll give it a try!

Big D, thanks for the link to the article. Again it seems somewhat contradictory as it states that clocks stamped with 'Remember' were made by Junghans after they took over the Resch factory in 1901, but I know that 'Remember' was stamped on movements made by the Resch factory for many years before Junghans took over. Junghans used the 'Remembrance' stamp on theirs.

Perhaps 'Remember' was stamped on the Resch movements as a mark of respect after Lorenz Resch passed away and his sons took over the business?....

Denis

Greetings Denis and all -- There's a problem with using the Kochmann volume as a source for information on clock manufacturers in the German-speaking regions. Not a few of the entries are digests of information in the standard German reference, Jürgen Abeler's (1977) _Meister der Uhrmacherkunst_. And in this case, the Abeler entry for Lorenz Resch is mainly derived from an article, "Die Pendeluhren-Industrie in Ober-Oesterreich" which was mainly concerned with Resch. The article appeared in the 1885 (not 1886 as cited in K) No 10 issue of the _Deutsche Uhrmacher-Zeitung_ (page 73). It's of course longer and more specific than the Abeler entry. The prices of various regulators by size and woods, for instance, is included. (The Library & Research Center in Columbia has this issue of the _DUZ_.) Although it's not mentioned in the article, one explanation of the "Remember" tag was that it was in memory of the three brothers' father -- the founder Lorenz R. -- who died in 1871, before the new factory in Ebensee could be finished. Has anyone found the "Remember" on clocks from Resch in Wien _before_ 1871?

Yet it was certainly about before Junghans bought the company in 1901. So where K got the J marriage story is hard to know. The Neher (1961) "official" history of Junghans just notes that on the same day that the initial discussions about selling the Ebensee clock factory were finished (_not_ the sale) J's eldest daughter Getrud married the J firm's legal rep, Dr. Ermst Kielmeyer. As a result, the J firm had a lawlerly biggie in their inner circle at a time when the firm needed business-law advice. There's nothing there about a "Remembrance" (or "Remember") in memory of either or both events. Indeed, does anyone have a clock with "Remembrance" on it? Mighn't it just be a K typo? And while we're at this, mightn't we change that "mightn't" above to "couldn't"? Regards, Duck

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: zepernick)

Hi,

I have Resch Clock.
    Has low number and hasn't signature with city.
    What do You think about it? Number 8889 on clock.

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: dzi0bas)

Hi Denis, congrats on your Resch. I have a single weight Resch I serviced earlier this year when it stopped and despite my efforts it now runs fine and still keeps excellent time. The Junghans Remembrance thing seems to be one of those tall stories with no real authenticity. This site might be of interest, it includes the Kochmann story Zep/Doug/Duck refers to and also some movements without the Remember mark.

http://www.clockaholic.com/GR_Notes/...esch_Story.htm
    Jonathan.

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: jmclaugh)

My goodness, how many clocks have passed through this MB since 2004!

Would now suggest however for those interested in both the "Remember" trademark and the story -- as well as what is known in fact about Resch -- an article that appeared in the NAWCC Bulletin. A disentangling of Kochmann's several references is included, as well as copies of actual registration material not previously seen. Indeed. It's available on-line (via "Publications" and "Past issues") to NAWCC Members.

Stevenson, D.K. 2009. "Remember Remember -- The Gebrüder Resch Trademark & The Wedding Tale." NAWCC Bulletin, Volume 51/4, pp. 449-454.

For our UK friends there's even a reference to the Fifth of November .

Regards
    Zep
    Last edited by zepernick; 11-25-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: DenisG)

Can You help me with year identyfication of my clock above?

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: dzi0bas)

We know that this trademark (as shown) was in use by 1885. But, sorry, I'm not aware of a reliable dating index.

Often with Viennas, otherwise not dated, pictures of the case are very helpful as case styles represent different periods of production - such as biedermeier, altdeutsche, transitional, jugendstihl, etc.
    Perhaps you could post some pictures of the case?

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: Scottie-TX)

Hello dzi0bas and colleagues!

It's interesting to see GR movement with such a low serial signed with a logo (even with an earlier one). Could it be that it has 100,000 near to the serial number?

I thought that all Resch movements before s/n ~40,000 were unsigned.

BR,
    Oleg
    Ars longa, vita brevis

Default Re: Gebruder Resch Vienna Regulator (RE: Oled)

I'd mentioned the article (above) because sites such as the one referenced contain misleading information about Gebrüder Resch. Or more directly stated, they conveniently make available information that was derived from Kochmann that's wrong. And is now known to be wrong.

The entire "wedding tale" and the so-called "Remembrance" mark are examples.

Or in the more specific range, that "the factory reached its peak production in 1885" with 12,000-15,000 clocks a year. The original (Austrian) source did not say that. And making things more interesting, the Erste Wiener Pendeluhren-Fabrik made "Pendeluhren und Pendeluhr-Ebauchen."

Dating by case style is often helpful. Yet as the article pointed out, the Gebrüder Resch name dates from 1874, according to Uhrmachermeister Rupert Kerschbaum at the Vienna Clock Museum. The Lorenz Resch firm did not use a trademark with GR in it.

At the other end, as also noted, in the July 15, 1901 issue of the DUZ there was an announcement that the firm known previously as the "Wiener Pendeluhren-Fabrik von Gebrüder Resch in Ebensee" would henceforth have the title "Uhrenfabrik Ebensee, Arthur Junghans, Kommerzienrath."

In short, two thoughts. First, when dating Gebrüder Resch clocks, between about 1874 and about 1901 would seem to be an appropriate range at present. Second, one might be forgiven for thinking that writing research articles is a waste of one's time.

Regards
    Zepernick

Quote Originally Posted by zepernick View Post
    In short, two thoughts. First, when dating Gebrüder Resch clocks, between about 1874 and about 1901 would seem to be an appropriate range at present. Second, one might be forgiven for thinking that writing research articles is a waste of one's time.

Regards
    Zepernick
    Don't despair Zep, such articles can only increase our knowledge particularly on subjects such as Resch on which not that much is available and some of that is incorrect such Kochmann. Sadly your article is unavailable to non-NAWCC members.
    Jonathan.