Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 854 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: A.W.W.CO.

raaman

Default A.W.W.CO.

I just received a pocket watch with a works maker saying it is an "A.W.W.CO. WALTHAM, MASS. 15 Jewels U.S.A." #26669232. The case says it is "English Make Guaranteed to be made of two plates of 10 Ct gold with plate of composition between and to wear 20 years. 711974 25 o" It is plane on its face, although the works is quite decorated. The inscription date shows it was given in 1931. Does anyone know anything about this watch?

raaman

Default A.W.W.CO. (RE: raaman)

I just received a pocket watch with a works maker saying it is an "A.W.W.CO. WALTHAM, MASS. 15 Jewels U.S.A." #26669232. The case says it is "English Make Guaranteed to be made of two plates of 10 Ct gold with plate of composition between and to wear 20 years. 711974 25 o" It is plane on its face, although the works is quite decorated. The inscription date shows it was given in 1931. Does anyone know anything about this watch?

American Waltham Watch Co. or Waltham for short. One of the many names used by Waltham over the years.

You can look up the serial number at http://www.nawcc-info.org/WalthamDB/LookupSN.asp

16 size model 1908 grade 620, 15 jewels unadjusted. Dates about 1929.

Don

Hi raaman:

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

Is there anything else stamped into the back of the case?

You can see a brief description of the Waltham grade 620 movement (you were expected to pick out the case separately) and see where it fit in Waltham's line of 16-size watches on page 19 of the 1926 Waltham Sales Catalog at:
    <span class="ev_code_brown">www.elginwatches.com/scans/sales_catalogs/1926_Waltham/m_index.html</span>

<span class="ev_code_blue">To view, go to the </span><span class="ev_code_brown">Elgin Watch Collectors Site Home Page</span> <span class="ev_code_blue">at</span> <span class="ev_code_brown">elginwatches.org</span>, <span class="ev_code_blue">then copy and paste the address in your browser's address bar and click on </span>'Go'.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: A.W.W.CO. (RE: Kent)

I have an A.W.W. Co. Waltham, Mass. Pocket Watch, serial number 20156769. It was my grandfathers and I was hoping someone could tell me about it and if it has any monotary value?

Default Re: A.W.W.CO. Pciket watch (RE: Kent)

I have an A.W.W. Co. Waltham, Mass. Pocket Watch, serial number 20156769. It was my grandfathers and I was hoping someone could tell me about it and if it has any monotary value?

Smile Re: A.W.W.CO. (RE: scissors)

Hi scissors:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

Checking the references listed in the Waltham Watches Encyclopedia article (and subject to confirmation upon seeing pictures of the movement and dial), Waltham movement serial number 20156769 can be seen to be a model 1908, 16-size, 21-jewel, grade No. 645, open-face movement, built in about 1917 (give or take a year or so). This was a high grade, popular movement of which over 59,000 were made from about 1910 to 1920.

This watch is a railroad watch, one that was accepted for railroad time service. You can see its list price (in Canadian dollars), along with a picture and where it fit in Waltham's line of railroad and 16-size watches, on pages 26 & 27 of the 1915 - 1916 P.W. Ellis Illustrated Catalogue (found online by Gordian). You may also find this 1917 ad interesting.

If you tell us the markings stamped inside the back of the watch case (or post a picture of them), we may be able to tell you something about it. You can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're probably watch repairers' marks.

Unless you know that it has been cleaned and oiled within the last few years, you should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject. The Encyclopedia article on Choosing a Pocket Watch Repair Person may be useful as well.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia