Month's Goal: $300, Received: $140.00 - (47%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2997 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Jonas Clark-Elliott

Default Repair/parts for cuckoo music box?

I have a musical cuckoo clock, I'll estimate the age as recent, last 25 years or so. It's unusual (to me) in that the two back-and-forth animations - a woodchopper and a goat moving towards a water trough - I usually associate these types with the cuckoo call, but these are driven by the music box, as are the water wheel and dancers.

The music box mounts in the upper left (left when facing front of clock) side of the case. It is a 22-note comb and plays two tunes, with a stop between each. The paper label on the side of the case says "Cuendet", "Eidelweiss - Lara's Theme", "Swiss Musical Movement" and has a number. The last owner, it seems, did not want music, and removed the bridge with small gear and air brake.

The movement itself is unmarked. I don't know if Cuendet is the clock manufacturer, or the music box manufacturer. I'd like to get this clock's music feature working again. Any suggestions on where I can get the bridge and the screws for it? If I can buy it from someone, I can put it on - or, I can send the movement to someone. I doubt I can do this right now, as I'm a bit low on funds, but in a few months, yes. I'd also be happy to buy a replacement movement, as long as it has the same trip mechanism, is two tunes with a stop between, and has the extended pin-barrel arbor on which I can mount the drive grear. This one's plastic drive gear has the sprocket for the chain, a crown-gear face to drive the dancing platform, and a serrated edge to move the lever that drives woodchopper and goat. This gear has a set screw, so I could remove it from the shaft and put it on a new mech, though I'd love to get a bridge for this mech.

Jonas Clark-Elliott

Default Repair/parts for cuckoo music box? (RE: Jonas Clark-Elliott)

I have a musical cuckoo clock, I'll estimate the age as recent, last 25 years or so. It's unusual (to me) in that the two back-and-forth animations - a woodchopper and a goat moving towards a water trough - I usually associate these types with the cuckoo call, but these are driven by the music box, as are the water wheel and dancers.

The music box mounts in the upper left (left when facing front of clock) side of the case. It is a 22-note comb and plays two tunes, with a stop between each. The paper label on the side of the case says "Cuendet", "Eidelweiss - Lara's Theme", "Swiss Musical Movement" and has a number. The last owner, it seems, did not want music, and removed the bridge with small gear and air brake.

The movement itself is unmarked. I don't know if Cuendet is the clock manufacturer, or the music box manufacturer. I'd like to get this clock's music feature working again. Any suggestions on where I can get the bridge and the screws for it? If I can buy it from someone, I can put it on - or, I can send the movement to someone. I doubt I can do this right now, as I'm a bit low on funds, but in a few months, yes. I'd also be happy to buy a replacement movement, as long as it has the same trip mechanism, is two tunes with a stop between, and has the extended pin-barrel arbor on which I can mount the drive grear. This one's plastic drive gear has the sprocket for the chain, a crown-gear face to drive the dancing platform, and a serrated edge to move the lever that drives woodchopper and goat. This gear has a set screw, so I could remove it from the shaft and put it on a new mech, though I'd love to get a bridge for this mech.

Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Jonas. Blackforest imports has the best selection of cuckoo parts. What you need is called the governor, and should be easily matched to your music movement.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Jonas Clark-Elliott

Thanks for the links! Black Forest Imports has, it seems, discontinued all Cuendet movements and governors. PMClocks seems to have governors, but I'm not sure how to get the exact kind I need - a Reuge 22-note governor won't fit my Cuendet 22-note (I tried) Merritts has a 22/28-note governor, too, and it looks like it might fit...

The gov. will work from Blackforest. BUT you have to file the mounting holes to fit, If it is a side mount you need to file a notch for the barrel lock arm. [ I thank that is a good word for it] then cut down the fan, Its to big and the movement turns to slow, Do that a little at a time and check how it sounds. good luck. I used the one from Timesavers. and did this work to it. Good luck

Jonas Clark-Elliott

Side mount?

Jonas Clark-Elliott

Pardon my ignorance - side mount got explained to me.

On a whim, I took the movement by a local clock shop whose employees recognise me (frequent visitor to stare at all the amazing stuff, they keep a massive Gazo grandfather clock on display) and showed a repairman, asking how to tell if I'm buying a governor that will fit or can be modified to fit. End of the conversation, I left it there. He's buying the governor and installing it. It's not costing much at all.

Thank you all for the help and tips. I know I'll be buying some other things from Black Forest Imports now that I know they're out there and they stock parts.