Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2753 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Flabob

Default Hamilton 340 020 clock movement

How to adjust the movement timing? Mine runs too slow. Thanks, Bob

Blog Entries

Default Hamilton 340 020 clock movement (RE: Flabob)

Flabob, welcome to the clock board.If you do a search on hermle or balance wheel perhaps too, you will see quite a few posts there.there is alot of good information on the subject.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

I belive this clock has a floating balance. In which case this text taken from Bills clockworks should be helpfull.

Regulating the clock — Floating Balance :
    The clock can be made to go faster or slower by means of the regulator, which is accessible by opening the back door. In this type of clock, the regulator is a pointer fastened to the balance wheel itself. Gently hold the balance wheel with two fingers, and move the regulator in the direction needed (towards F or + for faster or towards S or - for slower). Move it only a small amount each time.

Flabob

Sounds like you know the secret. Knowing nearly zero about clocks I saw a little wheel that swings from side to side. Assuming this is the balance wheel, I moved the pointer to my right since I saw no 'F' nor 'S'. Would I be on the right track doing this?
    Thanks again. Bob

Bob, The F and S are normally on the back plate either side of the balance wheel and yes it sounds like you're on the right track

Flabob

Ilooked on the back at the wheel but saw no letters. I'm waiting to see the results of my movement. I have another clock next to this that I know is accurate.Will advise in a while.

Flabob

I think I had a bit of luck because it's very close to being right on! thanks to you I should now have a working beautiful clock. One other question please. I was told to never move the hands backwards on this clock. Is that inflicting harm to do that?
    Thanks again from sunny Florida, USA!! Bob

On most modern clock movements it is usually ok to turn the hands backwards and can be useful if you want to set the chimes in correct sequence instead of waiting for it to self correct.
    But to be sure try gently turning the minute hand backwards. If you feel any resistance then do not force it as this could cause damage. ( If in doubt Don't do it ) But if no resistance is felt you should hear an audible click approximately every quarter turn (15 Mins) This will not harm the clock and therefore it is ok to turn the hands backwards.

Flabob

You have certainly been a great help to me on this problem and I sincerely apprecuate it. One last small bit of info more: What are the three (3) winding holes for? I know one is for the clock mainspring and one for the chimes but the third?? This will be all I will need I believe. Thanks again. If you're ever in Florida look me up...OK? Bob

Well Bob,
    The one on the right winds the chime train, that sounds the Westminster melody.
    The one in the centre winds the time train, and makes the clock tick
    and the one on the left winds the strike train, that strikes the number of hours on the hour.

The plate may be marked +/- instead of S/F.

Tom

"Hopefully, you learn something new every day."
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Blog Entries

Is it true to say if this method did not help then one would have to add or remove weight from the wheel to regulate this clock?
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Flabob

I want to thank everyone for the expert advice passed on to me regarding my 340-020 Hamilton clock works. The clock is working absolutely perfect. I did have to readjust the wheel one last minute bit last night but today it has kept perfect time. Please be aware that the nearest clock repair shop is 40 to 45 miles through traffic from my house and I was dreading the trip. Now I have a perfect time piece and only owe you fine people! Thanks, Bob from Florida, USA