Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3491 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Cuckoo clock problem (RE: TonyR)

Hi, All,

Got another cuckoo conumdrum. Recently overhauled little Regula movement which is running fine... except. The clock escapment has a loop of wire extending from it that goes around a little crank-shaped wire that makes two figures on the front of the clock look as if they are sawing a log. Clock runs fine until I hook th is up, then it stalls. It has enough power to trip the strike and music on this clock, but it can't move the figures' little sawing arms. The figures themselves seem loose enough, but there is obviously too much drag.
    Any suggestions?

Regards,

Tony R.

Default Cuckoo clock problem

Hi, All,

Got another cuckoo conumdrum. Recently overhauled little Regula movement which is running fine... except. The clock escapment has a loop of wire extending from it that goes around a little crank-shaped wire that makes two figures on the front of the clock look as if they are sawing a log. Clock runs fine until I hook th is up, then it stalls. It has enough power to trip the strike and music on this clock, but it can't move the figures' little sawing arms. The figures themselves seem loose enough, but there is obviously too much drag.
    Any suggestions?

Regards,

Tony R.

mrb

clock in beat? proper angle and spacing of wire?
    rust or corrosion which must be removed? lubricated? escapement correct?

Wull Tony, I think you may have answered your question ( which is allowable ) . Your suspicion is probably correct. Many times when these ancillary devices stop the clock - there is something wrong with the device e.g. feeding birds, see-saw, drinking deutscher, waterwheel, dancers, etc. I'd look for a problem in the motion device and the "whatever" that activates it. I'll bet your suspicion is correct.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. As regards the proper angle and spacing of the wire -- can anyone give me a few clues as to how this is supposed to be? I've not encountered this particular mechanism before and I don't have anything to guide me on how it should be set up. Thanks again.

Regards,

TonyR.

Me? I'd just experiment: Maybe the lift is too high and stalling the mech. Bend it to what you think is in favor of improved operation. You can always put it where it was. Tug a little on the weight. Does a small amount of added power make it work? Or does it fail even with more power? That's how you learn. Don't be afraid to try. God didn't bend that wire and it won't explode if you bend it. Whaddya think? Y' up for it?

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Tony, Scottie has the right idea there. I find that a lot of the cuckoos I work on that have all the toys on them are way out of adjustment because someone tried to fix it and gave up. The secret to troubleshooting anything is to be able to picture how it should work, and see why it doesn't. A small tweak here and there is often all they need. Patience and more patience is also required. Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Hi Tony, I may not be reading this right or maybe I do not understand your terminology. There should not be anything attached to the escapement that would rob power from the normal time keeping side! Hope this will help some.

Tony,
    The place to start is the concept of "in beat". You know when the escapement is in beat because of the sound and the fact that the pendulum moves esentially the same amount each side of vertical.
    Any attachements to the escapement like rocking ships and sawing men have to be "in beat" too. Check to see that there is no pre-load from the men to the escapement when the pendulum is hanging straight down or vertical (depending on your perspective).
    Now move the pendulum to the left and right to the point of each tooth of the escape wheel being released and check to see that the relative movement of the men is the same amount of movement from rest (or vertical)to each side of vertical just like putting the escapement in beat. I think the more scientific clockmakers call this poising the automaton.
    Like Scottie said, Just experiment a little.

Larry

Hi,

Thank you all very much. I have indeed been experimenting with the angle of the wire and we're making progress. They're not exactly sawing up a storm yet, but they are sawing. One thing I've noticed, the little saw blade is made of metal and rather heavy for just a look-a-like saw blade. I think Larry's idea of it being in beat may well be right -- it seems the saw is designed to build a little momentum of its own to keep the thing moving. I'll keep at it...

Thanks again.

TonyR.

I totally agree with Larry. have the clock resting in a up right postion with the wire for the saw bent back out of the way, put the clock in beat and let it run a couple min. to make sure it runs with out the wire for the saw.Then with out moving anything look at the wire and bend it alittle forward just before it touches the up right wire for the saw and see that it well be right between the the loop if not bend it until the loop is hanging straight withe the up right wire and that it about a sixtenth of a inch play on ether side. Then bend it up right so it will be activated when you start the clock running.I have worked on alot of these and I'm always told it was bent out of the way because the clock maker couldn't keep the clock running with the saw? If the works is in good order and the saw is free and then posied it will run.You can't do this by holding the clock in one hand and adjusting in the other,it has to be on a test stand.