Month's Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 - (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4305 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Blog Entries

Default Waltham Serial Number Database

We now have 14 people working away on the Waltham Serial number database.

I have created a workgroup forum on http://forum.awco.org for the group's discussions, files, etc.

One of the benefits of participation is a copy of the second book of handwritten Waltham Serial Numbers with over 200 full size pages at copy and postage costs. The main benefit is doing a fun and useful project with a bunch of great people.

If you are interested in participating in this project, please either contact me or Wes Boger (PoorDudeFromCalifornia).

tom@mcintyre.com or wes_boger@yahoo.com

Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Waltham Serial Number Database (RE: Tom McIntyre)

We now have 14 people working away on the Waltham Serial number database.

I have created a workgroup forum on http://forum.awco.org for the group's discussions, files, etc.

One of the benefits of participation is a copy of the second book of handwritten Waltham Serial Numbers with over 200 full size pages at copy and postage costs. The main benefit is doing a fun and useful project with a bunch of great people.

If you are interested in participating in this project, please either contact me or Wes Boger (PoorDudeFromCalifornia).

tom@mcintyre.com or wes_boger@yahoo.com

Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Another benefit:
    Volunteers get are entitled to the Waltham database upon completion!

NAWCC# 156994

I have a Waltham 8 day 37 size chronometer movement that ha 15 Jewels and a red dot winding indicator. The unusal thing about this movement is that the jewels are screwed down rather than friction fit.

The other unusual item is the serial #; 16,629,248. This number is below any serial numbers shown in the Waltham parts catalogs I have.

Damasceneing is visible on both the upper and lower plates. I wonder if this was a factory prototype?

Blog Entries

The last factory documentation other than the repair serial number list is for 7,555,000.

I have three 37 size 15J Adjusted Walthams. The earliest one is 20 million and has the 8 day up/down in gimbals with a rating certificate from 1935. The second one is a counter regulator with a 28 million serial number. The third one is a double boxed torpedo boat watch probably put together by the Roth Brothers during WWII. It has a 30 million serial number and has the new solid alloy balance and no indicator at all.

The counter regulator has the Ohlsen form of patent regulator, the other two have standard whiplash regulators. Only the first is damaskeened and actually marked with the jewels and adjustment.

All of mine have the standard pressed in settings.

I would love to see a picture of your movement.

Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web

[This message was edited by Tom McIntyre on November 26, 2002 at 13:03.]

[This message was edited by Tom McIntyre on November 26, 2002 at 13:05.]
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers

Hello Dennis,
    Will this be an up-grade for the first program I bought from you?

Mike Nardick
    Chapter #37 Allegheny
    NAWCC-### Charter member #026

FYI, and for the record, the database we have been working on will be hosted at AWCo.org, and will be free to use (like the Elgin lookup site).
    This database is coming along real nice, thanks to all of the people working on it!

NAWCC# 156994

Blog Entries

For those interested in such things, the Waltham handwritten records contain about 16,500 records of runs. That only covers up to 7,555,000. The remaining records are only recorded in the printed serial number list and it goes up to 30M+. I have not counted the records in the printed list (gray book).

Jim Schneider has transcribed the printed list and has a database available that he is trying to determine how best to distribute.

The problem with selling these databases is that only the expression is copyrightable. The data itself is in the public domain. That is a tough nut to swallow for someone who has spent a year or two developing a database unless they figured it out before they started.

Wayne Schlitt is the only one I know of who worked it all through and decided to do it anyway. He spent about 1 1/2 years of most of his spare time building the database and has spent a greater amount of time since then refining and developing it.

By doing it for Waltham as a 6 week multi-volunteer project, we are hoping to show that the combination of the NAWCC and the Internet can make this kind of effort a reasonable undertaking.

As Wes noted, we are well on track to finish by the end of December. The preliminary incomplete results are on view at Serial Numbers.

There are 266 scanned pages on view at that location as well as a set of preliminary queries agains the partial database. We have another 21 pages to scan and put on-line from the first book that I did not have when we began. The first book has 9,109 records. The second one has about 7,400.

Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    Will Rogers