Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 893 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    J.Rogers

Default Lucerne watch Company

Does anybody know anything about the lucerne watch company. I can find plenty of watches (vintage just nothing on the company or it's history

J.Rogers

Default Lucerne watch Company (RE: J.Rogers)

Does anybody know anything about the lucerne watch company. I can find plenty of watches (vintage just nothing on the company or it's history

Registered User Claude Girardin's Avatar

There has never been a Lucerne Watch Company. Lucerne is the name of a well know touristsl city in the heart of Switzerland. The name had remained unprotected as a TM for watches for ages and been used for many knock-offs made all around the world.
    Claude

Blog Entries

If I understand copyright laws correctly, names such as Geneva, Geneve, and Lucerne cannot be copyrighted for use on products of any sort, and in this case, watches. That would seem to mean that anyone could use this name without restrictions. If this is the case, it would not be possible to pin down just who placed the order for your dial with the Lucerne name on it. In short, I know of no actual Swiss manufacturer by that name, so the watch in question is likely a generic Swiss product sold as a private label, or contract watch.

Doug S.

Registered user.

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: doug sinclair)

Quote Originally Posted by doug sinclair View Post
    If I understand copyright laws correctly, names such as Geneva, Geneve, and Lucerne cannot be copyrighted for use on products of any sort, and in this case, watches. That would seem to mean that anyone could use this name without restrictions. If this is the case, it would not be possible to pin down just who placed the order for your dial with the Lucerne name on it. In short, I know of no actual Swiss manufacturer by that name, so the watch in question is likely a generic Swiss product sold as a private label, or contract watch.

Doug S.

Hello,

I just acquired a ladies pendent watch that clearly says "LUCERNO", not "LUCERNE".
    Is anyone familiar with this brand, or is this the same issue as stated above.

Thanks,
    Steve

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: sfarkas)

There is a LOCARNO in Switzerland. Because there are at least four languages spoken in Switerland, Lucerno might be the habitual spelling for Lucerne in one of those languages. If it is, then the name cannot be copyrighted for use on a product (such as a watch). Thereby, anyone who chooses to put the name on a watch can likely do so without infringing on someone else's copyright. This makes uncovering the source next to impossible. Being a generic product, lots could be discovered about the watch, but unfortunately, little or nothing about the source.

There are plenty of Lucerne watches on Ebay, I have come across a couple and usually throw them in my junk pile of watches. The ones I came across for the most part had one jewel movements in them and the cases were very cheaply made.

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: rleegabe)

They are all over the place as are "Chateau" and the like. Watches made with pin lever movements and cased to mimic quality watches.

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: Dave Haynes)

I received a man's wrist watch signed Lucerna. Dial is signed in that manner with 30 jewels and claims to be a Superautomatic movement. The movement is signed as a Eterna 692 movement. Sorry for the quality of pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lucerna Face.JPG   Lucerna Movement.JPG  

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: harold)

Marked Eterna 692? Could be, but it is actually a FELSA 692.

Thank you Doug. My old eyes and brain.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: harold)

T'sokay! I suffer from the same malady!

This in my Lucerna..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00144.jpg   DSC00143.jpg  

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: orlimarko)

Quote Originally Posted by orlimarko View Post
    This in my Lucerna..
    Here's a Lucerna that I picked up at a watch fair, which seemed like a good idea at the time. Managed to source a printed ring (for a tag heuer) and now to make a bezel ... one day ... maybe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0314.jpg  

Default Re: Lucerne watch Company (RE: McE)

I just googled a place I worked from 1965 to 1966 and saw this website & thought I could answer some questions about the Lucerne Watch Company.

It was a company in New York City. It was my first job out of secretarial school and I worked in the back office which was in a building on 5th Avenue directly across from Lord & Taylor. I don't remember the address but it was between 39th & 38th Street directly on Fifth Avenue. (419?) It was on an upper flour (5th?) and was divided into 3 section. The front, fancy section was the sales staff. Behind them were all the secretaries, accountants, billing, etc. In the very back was a section where people assembled watches sitting on long benches. The watch parts came from Switzerland. Many assemblers were European immigrants. I used to go back there occasionally, mainly because I was curious.

I left in 1966 when I got married & moved to Boston. I don't know anything else but I had to reply when people here said it never existed!! It certainly did & was a very good brand back then. I had a couple of watches because I got them at a discount. I also don't know what happened to them. It was almost 46 yrs ago!

It was owned & run by a German American family. I don't remember their names, but maybe it will come to me & I will post again.