Month's Goal: $300, Received: $230.00 - (77%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3061 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Help needed to Identfy tall case wooden works clock

I have aquired a tall case clock (96) inches. It has a 30 hr wooden works movement and has seconds bit and calendar. The dial is wooden and has the names " Hopkins and Lewis, Litchfield Conn. in a circle on the dial. Can anyone give me any information on these people so I can have some history on the clock?
    Jeff

Default Help needed to Identfy tall case wooden works clock (RE: Jeff Beehler)

I have aquired a tall case clock (96) inches. It has a 30 hr wooden works movement and has seconds bit and calendar. The dial is wooden and has the names " Hopkins and Lewis, Litchfield Conn. in a circle on the dial. Can anyone give me any information on these people so I can have some history on the clock?
    Jeff

According to "The Book of American Clocks":

Ca. 1825. Wood Movements for 30 hr tall clocks. Tall clock in Mitchell collection; one owned by Bruce E. Marks, Harrisburg, Pa., solid walnut case.

That's about it. There is a bit of info under Hopkins (Edward) & Alfred (Augustus), Harwington Conn. 1820-27: Hopkins lived in Northfield, walked to work; Alfred lived in Harwington. Dials handpainted by Alfred's two sisters, Louisa Sperry and Cynthia Gunn.

That's all the info I can find. At least it dates your clock very close. It's around 1825.

Harjodi

I inherited a Hopkins & Lewis (Litchford, Conn)Tall clock and have been unable to retrieve much information on this item. Scratched into the inside of the clock is XVII. The clock on longer works. The 'workings' of the clock seem to be all there, except the short hand and the second hand. I even have the weights. Is there anyone you can recommend to fix this clock. It has all wooden gears. Have you obtained any more information on the history of this clock and it's potential worth for insurance reasons.

These Hopkins folk are easy to intermangle <g> as some were indeed intermingled. In the Spittler, Spittler and Bailey (2000) _American Clockmakers & Watchmakers_ reference volume, the entry for Hopkins & Lewis is as follows:

"HOPKINS & LEWIS: Litchfield, Conn. Ca. 1825-1828. Wooden tall clocks, 30-hour, but also unusual design 8-day wood movements with 120 tooth escape wheel, often wood dials with wood rocking ships. These are often found in Canadian-made cases. Tall clocks with wood movements are known signed Hopkins and Lewis on dial. The Hopkins was probably Asa, possibly Orange or maybe both. The Lewis was Luke Lewis known more for his contribution to musical instruments than clocks."

There are then also separate entries -- each somewhat longer than above -- for Asa Hopkins an "inventive genius," and for Orange Hopkins. Edward Hopkins is mentioned in an "Answer Box" reply concerning an Asa Hopkins clock (December 2003 _NAWCC Bulletin_) with Asa as uncle to Edward. Edward also has a separate entry, but doesn't appear to have had anything to do with Hopkins & Lewis.

Anyone doing research would probably want to get copies of these several entries (e.g. through the NAWCC's Library & Research Center, in Columbia). In addition, Asa Hopkins and kin are undoubtably going to show up in some issues of _The Cog Counters Journal_. A bibliography of articles in the CCJ has been done, I believe, but I don't have a copy. The Library should.

Regards, Duck
    NAWCC 118804