Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4444 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Seeking information on antique clock and watch repair

If you are serious about this pursuit, you must join the NAWCC. The publications and the chance to interact with others in this field will prove invaluable. There is a link to join on the site.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Default Seeking information on antique clock and watch repair (By: lpbp)

Steve,see if you can dig up a book with the title of " Clock Repair,Part Time Hours-Full Time Pay,by John Pierson".It deals primarily with the business end of clock repair.
    One of the many good things about belonging to the association is that you have access to probably the largest horological library in the world.You can check any book out in their catalogue just for the cost of postage including the one I previously mentioned.Its a real good deal and a great source for reference material.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Welcome aboard Steve.You'll find that your yearly dues will be money well spent.If you really want to do your thesis in depth you may want to attend some of your local marts sponsored by your local chapter and talk to some of the numerous vendors who buy and sell there.I'm sure that will help give you some insight into the business end of this profession.If you explain to them what you are trying to achieve I'm sure they'll be more than candid with you.The marts(local and regional) are another benefit of belonging to the association.You can't attend them unless you are a member.
    As far as secrets go you won't find any on these message boards.If you have a question ask away.We have a great group of people here and they would like nothing more than to help you with your project.Anyone who does anything to advance the pursuit of horological studies is doing us all a favor.Anything you need to know,just ask.One of our clock sharpies will have an answer for you.

Blog Entries

Steve:

By joining the NAWCC you will also have access to the resources of the national organization and the National Clock Museum. They will undoubtedly have answers to many of your questions concerning various statistics on the industry, or at least suggestions as to how to conduct your own surveys to get the answers.

For example, they may (or may not, I have no authority here) assist you in conducting a survey of NAWCC members on repair charges, or whatever. Depending on the questions, the answers could be useful to both you and the membership.

Good luck, and feel free to post your questions on this message board. We will be glad to help where we can, even if it won't be a statistically sound sampling.

RobertG
    Robert Gary "Learn something. Skill does not desert the life of a person ever." Dionysius Cato (ca. 230-150 BC)

Blog Entries

Snodog,

If you are just starting to learn this craft, it will likely be years before your abilities will be far enough ahead to require a business plan. A clock repair shop is not like starting, say, a stationery business where you first do the business plan, study the demographics, find a location, stock the shelves, advertise, unlock the door, and find yourself in business. You will likely be like most who are starting out. Start small, work hard at it, learn, develop a clientele, then persist until your repertoire of things you can do, your skill level, your speed at doing satisfactory work finds you with too much time and not enough clocks before you'll need a business plan. At least this is IMHO.

Steve,

You might want to develop a questionaire that could be easily e'mailed and returned.

Someone was doing a survey on NAWCC Library use, and solicted responses on the message board.

They are several clock repair private discussion groups. You have to be in the clock repair business to participate. If you e'mail Phil Schilke who moderates clock & clock repair board about your questions. He might be willing to pass on a survey to them.

Regarding actually entering clock repair business - have you actually worked on any clocks?

NAWCC has two clock repair programs; a formal school in Columbia, PA and SuitCase Class program. See website for more details.

The Suitcase Program is great for hobbyists; classes run 4 days, and broken down into the following classes: basic clock repair, Skills Class, Lathe, more complicated movements, etc.

I believe you live in Minneapolis/St. Paul; NAWCC has a very active Chapter # 20 in the area. If you decide and join NAWCC, contact the Chapter and attend local meetings. I think you might be able to meet up with some local repair persons and get a sense what it is to run a repair business.

Good Luck....Andy Dervan

Welcome Snodog - aka Steve.

I think I heard a good business plan on a much earlier posting (think it was this area as well):

"If you build it, they will come".

But I agree with the sager sages above :biggrin: - It takes time to develop the abilities, knowledge and wisdom to be a good watch/clock repairer. I'm in awe of these guys.

My aim is wooden-gear clock designing. But I have to understand clocks well to do well. So I bought a couple junky cuckoo clocks on ebay and put them together. Then I bought an Ingraham Gingerbread Kitchen clock. She was pretty dirty. This is a my first old diamond in the rough. I'm doing good just to get her clean.

I've also been bitten by the clockie bug. I barely get off ebay with buying something. Fortunately I'm too poor, or I'd have filled my house with sad orphaned clocks that need repair.

Hope you get bitten as well. Welcome.

cyn (c: