Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2871 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hamilton Ball 18 size 999

I have a Hamilton Ball 18 size model 999 that insists on losing about two hours a day. So far Iíve done the usual things to find it; replaced the mainspring, disassembled, cleaned and oiled, de-magnetized, tightened the cannon pinion, replaced the cannon pinion, checked the hands for tightness, removed from case and ran to see if it was rubbing somewhere. The dial had some bad chips and two of the feet were contact cemented on so I replaced the dial (temporarily) with a standard Hamilton dial. Iím out of ideas. I can see nothing broken or unusual. Anybody have any ideas that I might try?

Default Hamilton Ball 18 size 999 (RE: Roger Huegel)

Does the regulator do anything(speeed up or slow down) to the timing?

Since it is so far off (about 10 minutes per hour) I didn't even attempt to use the regulator.

When placed on a timing machine what does it indicate?

With the regulator set at max fast it's showing about 3 minutes slow.

Before I moved the regulator it was at 4 minutes+ but the beat was better.

If you look carefully at your printout you will notice that if they the lines were straight you would have more than one line. I would look carefully at the balance wheel and hairspring. If someone is substituted a different hairspring I think that would give you your greatest timing error versus anything else.

It looks like the watch has a serious case of tsouris. Myer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger Huegel:
    With the regulator set at max fast it's showing about 3 minutes slow.

Before I moved the regulator it was at 4 minutes+ but the beat was better.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger,
    Does the serial number on the balance wheel match that of the movement? My guess is that someone has switched the hairspring,or balance wheel.

Serial numbers match on the balance cock and the movement. I can't tell if the balance wheel and hairspring are original. It does look like someone may have been trying to lighten the balance wheel as there's a few of the balance screws missing.

There should be a serial number on the bottom side of the balance wheel arms. Regardless whether the numbers match or not,I'd say that you have a mismatched hairspring and balance wheel. I wonder if there is any chance of you finding a balance complete for this movement? Odds are against it.

I had the School director take a peek at it this morning and he's also of the opinion that it has the wrong hairspring on it. Looks like someone just got it running to sell on eBay and I was the lucky person to purchase it.

Now would be a good time to learn about vibrating hairsprings.

Yes, as a beginner Iím still a long way off from knowing how to completely diagnose and fix a pocket watch. I believe, with a good book, I could stumble through replacing a hairspring but Iím completely clueless as to how to choose the correct hairspring and then get the balance and hairspring to work together correctly. Iíve bought books that explain how to do it but nothing beats having someone actually show you how.

You might be better off having someone else do this job for you. It takes a long time to learn all there is to know about springing balances.
    Jim Michaels used to provide this service,but I can't find his webpage.

Dan at the School is going to do it for me but I'm going to watch and learn how it's done.