Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1377 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Stauer Watches

jwdavis

Default Stauer Watches

Hi,
    I am a pocket watch guy who has dropped in for a visit and, yes, I do have my visa.

I have been wearing the same Seiko quartz for 15-20 years now and have been looking around. Has anybody here heard of Stauer Watches? They advertise highly jeweled, precision mechanical movements that are recreated from designs of the 1920's.

Their prices are pretty reasonable but I have never heard of them. Does anyone own one? Thanks for your help.

Jack Davis
    nawcc #0155190

jwdavis

Default Stauer Watches (RE: jwdavis)

Hi,
    I am a pocket watch guy who has dropped in for a visit and, yes, I do have my visa.

I have been wearing the same Seiko quartz for 15-20 years now and have been looking around. Has anybody here heard of Stauer Watches? They advertise highly jeweled, precision mechanical movements that are recreated from designs of the 1920's.

Their prices are pretty reasonable but I have never heard of them. Does anyone own one? Thanks for your help.

Jack Davis
    nawcc #0155190

Do a search on this site and you will find some pretty strong opinions about Stauer watches.

There are a lot of companies that are doing a lot of very cool things with Chinese movements.

One German company (a REAL GERMAN Company not a made up German name like Stauer) is doing some AMAZING things with these CHinese movements.

Stauer, is, like many other companies makeing mass market watches for the masses. .

I am not a fan. But I am sure there are others who are. As to collectabililty, well, I guess they are collectable. Reliability may be a different issue. Good luck! Jeff
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

J.Rogers

I think this brand falls into the same category as Steinhausen Watch. Steinhausen used to be advertised in airline flight magazines, now they are in EBAY and a few other places.

I may be wrong, I think it is just another marketing product that some enterprizing people came up with.Neither of these names appear in the German watch forum. The automatic, etc sell for $150-200 and they are probably made and assembled in China next to the toasters and t-shirts.

jwdavis

Thanks for your replies. I did a search and, you're right, it did reveal a number of opinions pro and con.

I think I will keep looking. I have been trolling through ebay for higher end vintage wrist watches but when I see what they go for I can't help thinking I could put that toward another pocket.

I guess I'm conflicted.

Jack

WANGONK

I bought a Staauer, it is a pretty watch and I was enamored of it. But, after a few months it stopped working and I reported it to the Nextten ompany that markets it but they could do nothing about it. They offered to let me buy an expensive warranty after which they would give me a new watch. So, those are the facts - I have a nice looking watch that doesn't work. At least the New York Street vendors sell watches that work though they may be knockoffs.

Default Re: Stauer Watches (RE: WANGONK)

After having bought a 14 K solid gold stauer watch of 500 $ one year and half ago, I noticed the second hand was not ticking at every second but jumps 5 seconds at a time. The watch is very nice looking, however..... its reliability seems to be a problem. I called the the company and all they could say is they were willing to replace it with a brand new one for 75 $.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stauer Watches (RE: kigomin)

Most watch repair people (but not ALL repair people, for sure), myself included, will not even LOOK at a Chinese watch! No surprise the people who import this stuff won't look at them, either. Timex has now introduced a line of Chinese mechanical watches for reasonable prices. You might want to check them out, even if the Timex name doesn't have the cachet of some meaningless, bogus, European sounding name.

Default Re: Stauer Watches (RE: doug sinclair)

The Chinese are very capable in some areas (heavy industrial machinery), but consumer goods? Lets just say that they make good food. Their consumer goods look great but inevitably the little shortcuts that they take get them in the end. Seiko has them beat hands down.

In the reasonably priced watch market, I would buy one of the new Swatch Group Hamiltons. Look them over and you will see why.

Default Re: Stauer Watches (RE: Dave Haynes)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Haynes View Post
    In the reasonably priced watch market, I would buy one of the new Swatch Group Hamiltons. Look them over and you will see why.
    I have a Hamilton Khaki with the 25 jewel ETA 2824-2 movement. It is the daily wear watch. I can be pretty hard on watches: Cave exploration comes to mind. Its been through mud, sand, and scraped on rocks yet the sapphire crystal looks like it did when new 5-1/2 years ago. I've twice dropped it on hard surfaces and it still runs nearly spot on, gains about a minute every two weeks.
    I like Longines and Gruen. Currently learning...
    -JackW

Default Re: Stauer Watches (RE: jwdavis)

Let's begin by saying that I am a mechanical watch person (wind up and auto) and have quite a few.

I also have an inexpensive quartz or two.

Recently I wanted to add an atomic watch to my collection and an atomic type would be good for absolute correct time and every day wear.

I purchased a Stauer atomic watch with titanium band and case. It is an attractive piece and the titanium makes it light and strong.

Of course the time- day and date are always correct and adjusted by the signal from the U. S. atomic clock in Fort Collins Co.

I took a couple of links out of the band for personal fit and have made it my every day wear watch.

I noticed some nice looking mechanical watches on their web site but figured the atomic type movement should not have many problems and I thought the price reasonable for the titanium constuction.

I am really enjoying the watch.
    Last edited by burnz; 01-22-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Default Re: Stauer Watches (RE: burnz)

My wife bought me a skeleton Stauer a couple of years ago as a present. It came in the biggest gaud-awful case I had ever seen in my life. Anyhow, do yourself a favor and stick with Seiko or, at least, look at the Fossil brand. I think they (Stauer) are pretty stylish but expensive for what they are.
    Darrah
    Chap. 15, 124, 139, 149, 168