Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3307 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Cuckoo-Gong Sequence

Just finishing up an old 50's (30hr) Cuckoo movement and would like to check the cuckoo- gong sequence with others...I have two Cuckoos that Gong first and then cuckoo. This one Cuckoos first and then gongs.....adjusting only makes it gong twice.
    Just guessing this one is different. Any comments would be appreciated....
    Thanks....

Default Cuckoo-Gong Sequence (RE: gre406)

Just finishing up an old 50's (30hr) Cuckoo movement and would like to check the cuckoo- gong sequence with others...I have two Cuckoos that Gong first and then cuckoo. This one Cuckoos first and then gongs.....adjusting only makes it gong twice.
    Just guessing this one is different. Any comments would be appreciated....
    Thanks....

Geo,
    Don't know if it is absolutely correct or not--but most of mine cuckoo and gong at the same time.

Hey Geo-

This is one of those things that I have to stop and think about. It is supposed to be "gong, cuckoo" or "cuckoo, gong"? It doesn't matter to the movement and can, in fact, be adjusted either way depending on when stop occurs.

But, yes...It is supposed to gong then cuckoo. That means you must adjust your stop point so it occurs just after the "koo" and just before a pin on the main wheel touches the gong lever. This may require shifting the relationship between a couple of the gears by spreading the plates but first you should try shifting the count wheel. The fact you can get two gongs means the strike train isn't stopping properly or the gong hammer is traveling too far.

If the hammer is traveling more than one hammer-head width, check to see if the detent has been bent down.

Good luck with it!

Ok.......Gong...Cuckoo it is.......only a four wheel train so the first wheel had to be adjusted back a few teeth which will lower the cuckoo levers and strike the gong first...
    Thanks........

Hmmmmm-guess one day I will have to start all of mine and listen to them. The gong and cuckoo are so close together I probably never thought much about it,

"THOUGHT": RANDY? Did you say "thought"? C'mon RANDY; Yer braggin' - right? 'S why I call 'em "Dang Cuckoos". "Dang" comes afore the cuckoo!