Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3258 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Larryleelindsay

Default What clock is it and who is Samuel Myers in NY?

Hello I have a parlor or kitchen clock that reads on back
    SAMUEL MYERS
    FINE WATCHES clocks jewelry and cilver ware and a large veriety of ? silver and steel specticles and glases.Special attention given to repairing of watches and jewlery.every article warranted.
    151 Myers block Schenectady NY.
    I have found out that samuel Myers was born in abt mid 1700's and had a son that died young,well thats what I was told when trying to do some genealogy on the name.Thats all I know.I tride to put a picture on here of the clock it didnt happen? Please email me at fenceman1970@hotmail.com for pics.the clock is abt 12 inch tall wood frame catheddral top wood pendelem,painted dial,rings bell on hour.I have pictures of the inside of clock and out.I really would like to know what this clock is,I have had it for abt seven years and I havent found anyone who knows much about it.all anyone knows is mabie from 1870-1880.its a 30 hour clock.Please email me for pics and thanks for your time.
    Larry

Larryleelindsay

Default What clock is it and who is Samuel Myers in NY? (RE: Larryleelindsay)

Hello I have a parlor or kitchen clock that reads on back
    SAMUEL MYERS
    FINE WATCHES clocks jewelry and cilver ware and a large veriety of ? silver and steel specticles and glases.Special attention given to repairing of watches and jewlery.every article warranted.
    151 Myers block Schenectady NY.
    I have found out that samuel Myers was born in abt mid 1700's and had a son that died young,well thats what I was told when trying to do some genealogy on the name.Thats all I know.I tride to put a picture on here of the clock it didnt happen? Please email me at fenceman1970@hotmail.com for pics.the clock is abt 12 inch tall wood frame catheddral top wood pendelem,painted dial,rings bell on hour.I have pictures of the inside of clock and out.I really would like to know what this clock is,I have had it for abt seven years and I havent found anyone who knows much about it.all anyone knows is mabie from 1870-1880.its a 30 hour clock.Please email me for pics and thanks for your time.
    Larry

Larryleelindsay

Ok got the pics to work,if I havent got the other pics of the works, on here just email me and Ill send them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30841327@N00/

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Larry. Your clock looks like 1880 era clock, but I've never seen a dial like that. I've also never seen a kitchen clock with a wooden pendulum. If you can get the dial off and post a picture of the movement, we might be able to narrow down the possible maker.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Larryleelindsay

Hello Harold Thanks for the reply I now have two pages on the site with pics of the workings of the clock,some pics has discriptions some dosnt,there are more then one of each side,Also pics of the back of the clock with a date of repair that I cant make out.the second page hasa better pick of that.Thanks again
    Larry

Larryleelindsay

Hello Phil I have took this clock apart a few times,the only marking is the number 4 on the front plate.there used to be another lable above the Samuel Myers,but its long gone.whats left is what might be a, M with a 1/2 under that and the lable was brown with thin red lines through it.check out the pics I have added a few.I have looked on ebay for awile looking for the bottom of the case,no luck finding this clock yet.Thanks again for your Help.
    Larry

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Larry. I tried to match up your movement without any luck. Only Myers I could find for this time period is in New York city. The movement is 1870-1880 vintage. My best guess is that this clock was made by a very low volume manufacturer, or someone making a prototype. The dial and pendulum are very unusual. Hopefully, someone else has seen something similar.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Larryleelindsay

Harold Thanks for looking at the clock.I was going to say on my last email,This might be fun.but I didnt want to hexx myself.Acouple of reasons I kept the clock is I never have seen one like it,and its the second or third clock I got working.I got it in Conway,Missouri at a antique/junk shop for abt $45. I didnt know that it would be so hard to figer out what it was,but mabie someone will know.Like you said a prototype or low volume is my guss also.Thanks again and lets see whats happens.
    Larry

Larryleelindsay

Phil Thanks again also to you for your time.Like I said to Harold lets see what happens and if anyone knows about it? Ill try and do some more searching on the web.did eather of you guys know what the date is on the back where it was repaired? Thanks again
    Larry

I can't put my hands on it right now, but it seems to me I have a catalog reprint of a Myers firm.

They were retailers.

The movement looks like a 30 hour movement.

Ralph

Larryleelindsay

Ralph yeap it is a 30 hour clock strikes bell on the hour only.Like I told the other guys I havent found another one like it yet,and I have had it awile.looked on the web,even ebay for a few years to find the bottom of the case with no luck.I wish I would of ask when I got it if they knew any history,but didnt think of it at the time.I was happy to get somthing to mess with.It drives me crazy not to know the history of somthing.most of the old clocks and old stuff I have and kept came from family,repaired it and here it is.I also do Genealogy and I thought the Smith side of the family was hard lol.if you find anything let us know and Thanks for the Help.
    Larry

I found my reprint of the S.F. Myers & Co. catalog. It is part of the #31 1890 catalog. They claim to be "Manufacturing Jewelers, Importers, Exporters and Wholesalers of everything that appertains to Jewelry and it's kindred trades. Sole agents for the entire production of various leading manufacturers.".

They claim to have 22 departments, an office and salesroom at two locations, 48 & 50 Maiden Lane and 33-35 Liberty Street, between Nassau and Williams Street extending through the entire block, New York

I do not see your particular clock in the catalog, but I imagine they had a dynamic inventory....

Ralph

Larryleelindsay

Ralph,Thanks for the info!any way you can post the add or send it to me?if not thats ok.Ill see if I can find anything more on the web,now that I know more about his name and place there might be somthing more I can find.Thanks again and take care.
    Larry

Larryleelindsay

Ok Thanks to the post,I did find a little more info.S.F. Myers & Company
    A major and prolific manufacturer of jewelry and silver beads in the latter part of the nineteenth century. Founded by Samuel F. Myers at the outset of the Civil War in New York City. The firm manufactured a broad variety of gold, gold-filled and silver jewelry and silver beads and accessories. It operated its own wholesale department and was a major East Coast supplier of jewelry and silver beads by the end of the century. It was out of business circa 1912 - 1913. Many marks were used, most of which include the company name or initials: S.F.M.Co. or S.F.M. & Co.
    Ok so if he used most of the time the initials above,If I can find out when he used his name Samuel Myers,like on the clock I might find out what year the clock is?just a thought.Thanks again Ralph for the last update now im starting to find more info.
    Larry