Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2770 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Crest pocket watch

I was given a Crest pocket watch, not in running shape.It needs work but is complete.Appears someone sprayed a lubricant of some kind into it.Just smells oily.
    My question what is known of the crest company.This watch is swiss and a 17 jewel about a 12 sz.Any information is helpful.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Blog Entries

Default Crest pocket watch (RE: Kevin W.)

I was given a Crest pocket watch, not in running shape.It needs work but is complete.Appears someone sprayed a lubricant of some kind into it.Just smells oily.
    My question what is known of the crest company.This watch is swiss and a 17 jewel about a 12 sz.Any information is helpful.

Does it look like a generic Swiss movement?
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Blog Entries

The Crest name might have been a house brand of People's Jewellers in Canada. They were the only ones that carried that brand name in Canada. It appears to have been a name that was owned outright by them. They were an average quality, generic Swiss movement in every one I ever recall seeing. It would sound as though a previous owner might heve been "watchmaking" on it. Or It might have had equivalent treatment by a "production" shop.

Blog Entries

Hi Doug.I will try to get it running.It has the Crest name on the case as well.At least it is Canadian as sold by a canadian store.I cleaned it tonight but a curb pin on the regulator is broke and the hairspring seems to be lying on the balance wheel.If i cant get this one going i will look on Ebay for one.I have seen a few of these in antique stores here in Ottawa.
    thanks agin for the information.

Kevin, You might try looking for an equivalent Swiss movement to get the entire regulator for your watch. I have a variety of generic Swiss watches in my parts and movement boxes, as, I'm sure, others do.

Can you give us a close up pic of the regulator and the demensions. Maybe one of us would have a regulator you could use.

Tom

Blog Entries

Here is a picture of the regulator.I will get some dimensions soon for it.

I have not been able to find out much about the "Crest" label, but Waltham produced some private-label movements marked "Crest" around 1915.

"CREST" was also a trademark of the Gruen Watch Co. in the late '30s.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Blog Entries

Jerry i wonder why they would put Crest on the movement.Maybe someone,s name in the company? Or to sell to a jeweller with that name?
    Interesting note, my watch case says Crest on it also.

My movements are from the era when a customer might still pick out his movement and case from a selection presented by the jeweler. Crest was probably a "brand" used by a particular jeweler who wanted the name imprinted on his custom-ordered movements. These may have even been made for the same Canadian retailer or wholesaler who sold your watch.

I have a private label pocket watch with Crest on the movement. It is a 16s. Engraved on the movement is Crest 19j Adjusted 3 positions U.S. pat 24 may 1904. It has a micrometric regulator and the quality seems to be better then the generic swiss movement. The dial is a ds 24hr with Jackson Bros Jewelery Edmonton, AB. It is cased in a pendant style Fortune AWCCo case with no extra case screw marks so assume original to the movement. Jackson Bros Jewelery was a local store in bussiness from about 1900-1950. I've assumed it was of the 1900 - 1920 vintage and might be a gruen based movement because of the quality but maybe it is too early for that? Doesn't look like any Regina/Omega movements I have seen. Does anyone have any movements they are sure are Crest/Gruen?

Blog Entries

Hi John, sounds like a verry nice watch.And a private label too.Could you possibly post some pictures of it?
    Thanks.

Joe -- I, too, would enjoy seeing a picture of your watch. I have usually seen the 1904 patent regulator on Vacheron & Constantin movements, such as this example ...

The 1884 U.S. Patent of this same design was assigned to V&C. I believe the 1904 patent is Swiss. Your high-grade movement may demonstrate who this trademark was used by in Canada (Jackson Bros), or if other jewelers also turn up with the "Crest" label, it may have been a label used by a Canadian wholesaler.

Jerry and Veritas

Yesterday when I posted I was working off memory (not the best thing to do) and when I checked the watch last nightfound I got a couple of minor things wrong. There are extra case screw marks on the case so the case is not original to the movement. It's a cashier (25yr) not a fortune (20yr) gf AWCCo case and the dial just reads Edmonton, there is no AB. The engraving on the movement is as I described. The patent information is engraved on the barrel bridge surrounding the ratchet wheel not on the regulator. The regulator is a whip spring type not like the one on the VC you posted Jerry. While it is a decent quality I don't think it is up to the standards of VC - rats you had me going there for a second Jerry. There is currently a Gruen 19 jewel Adj 5 positions on ebay that has a whip spring regulator and Hairspring stud similiar to this Crest which makes me think Gruen likely. I took some pictures last night but I am no photographer and my camera not great. As soon as I can set up a flicker account and figure out how to post pictures I will.

Trying to post the pics. Here goes.