Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4617 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Waltham 17 jewel wrist watch

www.hessfineart.com/jeff/25jupjewel.jpg
    www.hessfineart.com/jeff/25jupjewelside.jpg
    www.hessfineart.com/jeff/Tadawaltham17j.Jpg

I never did get the pics the gent was to send me so I found this one in one of my junk boxes. If you have an old 25 jewel 1960's Waltham Pocket watch you will have the same thing....

What you have, according to the inventors, is a system devised to keep the jewels oiled. Some, including the USA government (who LOST their lawsuit) insist that this was just a ploy to overcome "upjeweling" laws put in place by our governemnt to help out American Watch Companies. If you look at the first one, you will see the 25 jewel watch. The second pic shows the side view withthe top thin plate added. The third pic shows the top plate sliding off and the original 17j TADA! Waltham movement. This is the Reservoil system. The watches were imported into this country cheaply and WITHOUT the heavy "duties". Then they wre "up jeweled" (oops I mean they were "made better") by the addition of the reservoil system that would help keep the jewels oiled. Got it?

Jeff Hess

[This message has been edited by Jeff Hess (edited 02-09-2002).]

Default Waltham 17 jewel wrist watch (RE: Jeff Hess)

www.hessfineart.com/jeff/25jupjewel.jpg
    www.hessfineart.com/jeff/25jupjewelside.jpg
    www.hessfineart.com/jeff/Tadawaltham17j.Jpg

I never did get the pics the gent was to send me so I found this one in one of my junk boxes. If you have an old 25 jewel 1960's Waltham Pocket watch you will have the same thing....

What you have, according to the inventors, is a system devised to keep the jewels oiled. Some, including the USA government (who LOST their lawsuit) insist that this was just a ploy to overcome "upjeweling" laws put in place by our governemnt to help out American Watch Companies. If you look at the first one, you will see the 25 jewel watch. The second pic shows the side view withthe top thin plate added. The third pic shows the top plate sliding off and the original 17j TADA! Waltham movement. This is the Reservoil system. The watches were imported into this country cheaply and WITHOUT the heavy "duties". Then they wre "up jeweled" (oops I mean they were "made better") by the addition of the reservoil system that would help keep the jewels oiled. Got it?

Jeff Hess

[This message has been edited by Jeff Hess (edited 02-09-2002).]

Steve Maddox

Jeff,

According to a list I have, the patent number of the Reservoil system above (2,418,865) was issued about 1947 or 1948. If that's the case, it's surprising to me that they were still being produced in the 1960s.

Interesting??.

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

Steve,

I'm not real clear on this issue yet, but if I am correct their were many types of "systems" "invented" to help with or in tandem with. "upjeweling". These archaic laws are STILL in place. Most customs agents will not enforce them, (especailly on vintage) but I have personally had customs folks charge me 17 cents per jewel duty on vintage! And to think, these laws were put in place to HELP our AMERICAN watch industry which is, of course, non- existant now.... The funny thing is that the money saved by "upjeweling" in regards to the labor involved once the 17j watch arrived here, must have been, by todays standards at least, negligible. Oh well.
    Jeff Hess