Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 5083 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    DJDasher

Default Seeking Information on American Watch Co. Item

I am hoping to obtain some information on a pocket watch that I inherited from my father. The watch is a coin silver watch that has a totally enclosed face, meaning that there is a silver cover that conceals the watch face. The watch face has the words American Watch Co. just under the (Roman Numeral)twelve. on the back of the front cover, the words Am. Watch Co. Waltham, Ma are printed in a semi-circle over the words Warranted Coin Silver B292. The front of the watch has an engraved spot in the center that bears three initials.

The back cover of the watch opens to reveal the winding arbor. The back of the watch is marked B292.

Opening the innermost cover reveals the watch movement. It has the words Waltham Watch Co. in beautiful script. It also contains the words Foggs Patent and Waltham, MA. The numbers 442087 is engraved near the balance wheel. The movement seems very ornate with filagree on the piece that supports the balance wheel. There are some awfully small scratched numbers on the edge of the inside of the back case. These are 2315 5948. There is an indicator on the movement that allows for fast or slow adjustment. The innermost cover carries the inscription 3X.

What can you tell me about this watch? I would be interested in knowing the date of manufacture, the relative quality of the movement, etc. This watch has great sentimental value to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The watch is fully wound, but will not run without manually starting the escape wheel. I suspect that it needs a cleaning.

Thank You,

Dennis

DJDasher

Default Seeking Information on American Watch Co. Item (By: DJDasher)

I am hoping to obtain some information on a pocket watch that I inherited from my father. The watch is a coin silver watch that has a totally enclosed face, meaning that there is a silver cover that conceals the watch face. The watch face has the words American Watch Co. just under the (Roman Numeral)twelve. on the back of the front cover, the words Am. Watch Co. Waltham, Ma are printed in a semi-circle over the words Warranted Coin Silver B292. The front of the watch has an engraved spot in the center that bears three initials.

The back cover of the watch opens to reveal the winding arbor. The back of the watch is marked B292.

Opening the innermost cover reveals the watch movement. It has the words Waltham Watch Co. in beautiful script. It also contains the words Foggs Patent and Waltham, MA. The numbers 442087 is engraved near the balance wheel. The movement seems very ornate with filagree on the piece that supports the balance wheel. There are some awfully small scratched numbers on the edge of the inside of the back case. These are 2315 5948. There is an indicator on the movement that allows for fast or slow adjustment. The innermost cover carries the inscription 3X.

What can you tell me about this watch? I would be interested in knowing the date of manufacture, the relative quality of the movement, etc. This watch has great sentimental value to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The watch is fully wound, but will not run without manually starting the escape wheel. I suspect that it needs a cleaning.

Thank You,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

It sounds like you have a nice watch, and from the case markings is sounds as though it's one that is probably all original.

First of all, the American Watch Co. (later known as American Waltham Watch Co) handwritten records, your watch was produced in December 1869. It is key wound (from the back arbor that you mentioned) and key set from the front where you will notice a similar square arbor at the center of the hands. If you don't already know this, the bezel should be hinged, allowing you to lift the crystal for setting the time.

Additionally, yours is a Waltham Watch Co. grade, which was at the higher end of the scale in terms of movement finish and quality, and it has 15 jewels. The small numbers scratched inside the case back are most likely marks that were made by watchmakers when they serviced the watch.

Your watch does indeed sound as though it needs to be cleaned. These keywinds are relatively easy to work on, although some parts can be a little hard to find. But since you're from Massachusetts, I doubt you'll have much trouble finding someone more than capable. If you don't already know of someone, just post a request in this message thread and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Congratulations, and enjoy your fine watch!

Regards,
    Mike

The only thing I would add to Mike's description is that it is a model '57 with a full plate movement.

Oh, and if you follow Mike's advice and get it working again, as soon as you hear that watch ticking away you'll be hooked forever.

- Greg

Ch.149 member #77

DJDasher

Thank you Mike anf Greg...

1869! I should have known as the outside case shows pocket wear. I never noticed the square arbor at the center of the hands. Thanks for the tip. The watch came to me in a small leather pouch that seems to fit the watch very well. Would that have come with the watch? Finally, the outside case is tarnished. Would polishing adversely affect this watch?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for the oversight on the model/size, and thanks to Greg for catching it.

I suppose the leather pouch could have been bought with the watch, but I've never heard of them coming with one.

As for the tarnish, it kind of depends on your taste. Personally, I like the nice, smooth patina that builds over time. However, if it is blotchy or too tarnished, I'll use a little Wright's Silver Cream or Semichrome polish on one. If you do a search on this forum for 'polishing', I'm sure you will find much nore information on the subject.

If you do decide to polish it, it is wise to remove the movement from the case until you're finished. Otherwise, dust, lint, polish, etc., can work it's way in and do harm. However, if you do take it to a watchmaker for cleaing, I would jsut ask them to take care of it while they have to movement out of the case.

Regards,
    Mike