Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2859 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    watch out

Default How many jewels?

I purchased this watch today and based on the serial number it can have either 13 or 15 jewels. Is there any way to tell from the picture? I do not have the watch yet so this is the best picture I can get of the back. I don't know if it helps but the serial number is 4607648.

watch out

Default How many jewels? (RE: watch out)

I purchased this watch today and based on the serial number it can have either 13 or 15 jewels. Is there any way to tell from the picture? I do not have the watch yet so this is the best picture I can get of the back. I don't know if it helps but the serial number is 4607648.

By the picture it looks like 15.

Balance ------ 4
    pallet fork - 5
    Escape wheel - 2
    forth wheel - 2
    Third wheel - 2
    Total = 15

watch out

Thank you Smudgy. I tried comparing it to another watch I have and other than a screw placement or two I could not see any difference. The plate on the top watch says it has 17 jewels.

The top watch differs in that the center wheel is jewelled, presumably on both sides, making 17 jewels.

Just to be clear, just because you can see some extra plate jewels, does not mean they are jewelled in pairs. It is a fair assumption on this watch - a higher quality movement like a GM Wheeler - would be jewelled in pairs. Hence assuming (in this case) it has 15 jewels is a rather safe assumption.
    However, lots of Walthams and Hampdens will look just like the GM Wheeler above, yet once the dial is off, you will see that the dial side is not jewelled, making it only 11 jewels.
    This is why you will see people refer to a watch as having "11 or 15 jewels" - because they are not certain and have not taken the dial off.

I go with 15 jewels on the GM Wheeler because the jewels are in settings that are screw set. My experience with 18S American watches has been the 11J watches have the jewels pressed into the plate or the jewels are in a pressed setting looking like it was screw mounted. This is not an exact science. The only way to be sure is to remove the dial and observe.

Tom

Blog Entries

According to my Elgin materials book, this watch is grade 82, class 5, made in both 13 and 15 jewel models. This one has at least 13 jewels it would appear. Either 2 or 4 of the bottom pivots would likely be jewelled, and it is not possible to tell how many are jewelled unless the dial is pulled.