Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: 49stude63)

Kent - F Y I - OF, sn-10534107, ca-1901 . . . listed only as AT&Co - any ideas/thoughts re: the hand-scribed numbers above the click?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT&CoPremier#5.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	82391  
    Last edited by rrpktwatcher; 01-26-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Timely Regards,
    rrpktwatcher

Thumbs up Re: Moedl 92 ATC Premier (By: rrpktwatcher)

Thanks for the data. I have no idea what those hand-scribed numbers are, perhaps Jim does?
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Moedl 92 ATC Premier (By: Kent)

Possibly a new "earliest sn" seen? 10057544 marked ATCo Premier, OF, but I haven't actually checked the winding bridge serial number ...
    Member Chapter 149

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: rrpktwatcher)

So did we identify the hand-scribed numbers in the end? To me it looks similar to the "watch repairers marks" often found inside the case back.

Also (and apologies if we already covered this) is an AT&Co "Premier" any different to an AT&Co "Safety Barrel" or is it just a cosmetic change for marketing purposes?

Registered user.

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: topspin)

Hi All,

I have ATCo Premier #10,057,536 which is identical to the photo in Ray Hallenbeck's post above. I have registered this with Jim at the 1892 database.

Allan

Registered user.

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier

Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    [EXCERPTED].......Also (and apologies if we already covered this) is an AT&Co "Premier" any different to an AT&Co "Safety Barrel" or is it just a cosmetic change for marketing purposes?
    Based on a Waltham ad announcing the introduction of the 18-size,1892-model AT&Co."Premier", the main, and possibly only difference appeared to be the fact that the "Premier" version was adjusted to five positions, while the regular version was adjusted to just three positions.

It has been many years since I saw the ad and I have not seen the two AT&Co. versions side-by-side, so I can't comment on "cosmetic" differences. For that matter, since I never collected or studied much in the way of 18-size Walthams, I don't know if any of either version were actually marked with the number of position adjustments. I hope a Waltham 18-size expert can elucidate.

[EDIT] I just noticed that this subject re position adjustments has also been covered in a post in a current thread started by Bill Manders yesterday (Thurs., May 18), titled "Waltham A.T. & Co." At this moment that thread is right below this one in the index. I wonder how I missed it!?!?!

Larry Treiman
    Last edited by Larry Treiman; 05-19-2017 at 02:41 AM.

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: AllanB)

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I have ATCo Premier #10,057,536 which is identical to the photo in Ray Hallenbeck's post above.
    Hi Allan, have you by chance checked the winding bridge serial number (so I don't have to check mine)?
    Member Chapter 149

Registered user.

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: Dave Chaplain)

Dave,

I regret I have not and am unable to so do as due to arthritis I have no fine control of my hands. Nowadays I rely on a good friend in Poland to repair and service my watches. I love acquiring and having put back into working order watches that I like and which I wish for my collection. Sometimes it is not economic to so do but as I do not sell, but keep, this is not of prime importance. (It is to my wife however!!)
    This AT&Co Premier watch has recently been acquired as part of a group of 1892 movements being sold by a chap in Canada. I acquired an OF 19j Vanguard, a 17j Htg Riverside, an early 17j OF AT&Co and this movement. All of these are complete except for the escape wheel and pallet fork. In addition a largely stripped out movement for a 17j PSB, an 845 and a 19j Crescent Street were also sent along with a box of 1892 Bits and pieces - wheels, clutches, pinions and a bag of jewel housings and jewels including, significantly, an escape wheel and pallet fork. The chap was exceedingly generous in what he sent and has significantly enhanced my 1892 collection
    The 19j Vanguard has gone off for restoration along with an 21j early Vanguard (4th Run) which came up for sale here in Uk and I was able to acquire at a very reasonable cost as it needed a centre wheel ( I have two so hopefully one will fit) and I will be sending this AT&Co Premier later in the summer. In the meantime I attach a photograph of it as received. I will be changing the rather naff dial.
    Allan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030036.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	344219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030035.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	344220  

Nice pics, and nice collection going there Allen! The only thing holding me back from taking a screwdriver to my collection (at the moment) is time, and then my skill level!

FYI - my Premier (very close in number to yours) has a double sunk roman numeral dial, with red minutes chapter numbers at the 5-minute marks, and a block "Waltham" signature ...
    Member Chapter 149

Registered user.

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: Dave Chaplain)

Dave,

Thank you for the information. I have a spare 1892 DS Block Waltham dial, sadly without the red minute chapters, which I will use unless another more suitable one becomes available.

A question I did mean to ask both yourself and others was whether these Grey metal dials were an official Waltham replacement dial (1920/30's?) or whether they were produced by another manufacturer to meet a replacement demand. The reason I ask is that this is the second time I've acquired a 1892 movement with this dial (the other was on a 21j Vanguard and was considerably better than this one).

Allan

Allan, don't act too quickly! I recall a discussion where Waltham offered silver finished 18s dials for a short period, and that they ultimately didn't take with the public. So depending on the period in question, yours isn't necessarily incorrect - until that detail can be surfaced.
    Member Chapter 149

Yes, the dial does look a bit rubbish, but after a good cleaning to freshen it up with whatever the appropriate cleaner/solvent may be, I feel confident the end result would be much nicer.

Waltham did sell a silver "High Visibility" dial.

I'll post this since the auction has ended. I sold this a few weeks ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23J-Waltham-...EAAOSwjqVZBo5H

I'd had this watch a while-the dial was quite thick and probably heavier than an enamel dial. The numerals are thick, almost three dimensional enamel paint.

Later repros are relatively thin metal and are easily IDed in hand.

I'm going to go with the above being a reproduction since the seconds bit isn't sunk. Notice that it is on my example.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: ben_hutcherson)

As Ben said, these high visibility dials were an extra cost option when first introduced. They never did catch on, but I have a Premier Maximus in a very heavy 18K white gold case that has a silver dial.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	344257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	378.0 KB 
ID:	344258Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	318.0 KB 
ID:	344259
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Registered user.

Default Re: Model 92 ATC Premier (By: Tom McIntyre)

Thank you all. I am inclined to believe that it is a non original replacement dial but I will never the less try to clean it up.

The fact that I have managed to obtain two such dials on 1892 movements in a small number -less than 15--of such movements is my only remaining concern as to its "waltham" originallity.

Allan