Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    greg 0147396

Default Seth Thomas Wristwatch

Hello, I usually deal with pocketwatches. I was with a friend that just bought a Seth Thomas wrist watch. The movement is swiss and marked Seth Thomas, also the case reads Cased and Timed by Seth Thomas Clock Co. Does anyone have any info on this watch. I see one listing in the price guide for a day/date watch for Seth Thomas but nothing else. Any info would help. Thanks, Greg

greg 0147396

Default Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: greg 0147396)

Hello, I usually deal with pocketwatches. I was with a friend that just bought a Seth Thomas wrist watch. The movement is swiss and marked Seth Thomas, also the case reads Cased and Timed by Seth Thomas Clock Co. Does anyone have any info on this watch. I see one listing in the price guide for a day/date watch for Seth Thomas but nothing else. Any info would help. Thanks, Greg

Blog Entries

Greg,

The only Seth Thomas wrist watch I have ever run into is in the collection of a friend. It is a square, yellow gold filled case, pie pan dial, sweep seconds hand, automatic wind, Swiss-made, AS 1361 movement, likely from the mid 1950s. By the time it was made, the Seth Thomas name was in the hands of either Westclox, General Time, or Tandy's, I suppose. Seth Thomas in name only.

greg 0147396

Thanks for the info Doug. I thought it was pretty odd. Its the only one I have ever seen. Thanks again, Greg

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: greg 0147396)

noobie here,I have searched all over no success.I have a Seth Thomas searock which was made by Roamer.they had no info on it.Battery,not quartz,has movement.electronic 612.any help out there?

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: gilnet)

Quote Originally Posted by gilnet View Post
    noobie here,I have searched all over no success.I have a Seth Thomas searock which was made by Roamer.they had no info on it.Battery,not quartz,has movement.electronic 612.any help out there?
    I just came across one of these as well. Seth Thomas "SEAROCK" Electronic 612, On back "Roamer Electronic" Any info?

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: greg 0147396)

The mvmt is 9154(?)ETA.I still have mine.My first electro/mech.I searched theWWW to the ends of earth.Seth thomas had a line of wristwatches which were I think,sent over here to be assembled(Tarriff laws?),but this is the only one SwissW/Roamer.Crown marked R also.Roamer had their own line of SEA themed watches but all I found were autos.I have Ebay alert on all of these so Isee any on eB.I can't even remember if I saw a roamer E/Mech,but think I did.I own over 200 E/Mech watches,at least 200 Accutrons of all sorts,over 20 Omega 9160s And 30 of my fave Eternasonics,along w/at least one of the others except for ICW(WAY too $$).I'm really poor so I buy on ebay and take my chances.I have ALMOST every kind from EMs straight thru to an Accuquartz 10eacd BETA21(first batch,lefty) and a disappointing MegaQ from omega(Clunks thru the secs,not smooth like the rest).The E/Ms are getting pricey but I grab any under $20.On Ebay the price has little to do w/Quality.All my best watches were really cheap.I am crip so spend A hellava lot of time on the web.perserverance,persistance are my tools which make up for lack of $$$.Only went over $100 a few times and got burned 50% of the time.Much better AVG under $100.So it can be done.

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: gilnet)

Since this was necro'd by someone else - I'll add a little info.

Seth Thomas relabeled a fair few wrist watches in the 1960s. I have seen a fair few - the swiss ones were always decent manufacturers.

Just to restate the Roamer connection - in the early 1970s Seth Thomas sold the majority of the Roamer range with Seth-Thomas branding in the US. This included the Searocks, Mustangs through to the Stringray Chronos. They also sold the very unique Roamer cal. 900 quartz movements with an electrically impulsed lever movement (not a stepper motor). The Roamer sourced watches were all made in Switzerland, and the only differences were generally the name on the dial, and the logo on the clasp.

The 612 is the Dynatron movement (ETA) made by Roamer.

Registered User prideofmatchingham's Avatar

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: trim)

Hi Trim, Sinclair and others

I was taken aback myself when I came across this Seth Thomas Automatic wristwatch with sub second and bought it impulsively. I had never heard of Seth Thomas making wrist watches hence it was more for the inquisitiveness. The photos are being given here from various angles. No movement picture given yet as watch hasnot come to me!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST1.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	155742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	155743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST4.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	155744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST5.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	155745

I think I may have got a good piece there, kind of rarer, more like two Roamer Alarm mechanical wristwatches!

Trim, Jon, Don, Sinclair, Adam, Squite and others
    Pl opine if it is indeed Seth Thomas? And how is the movement of these kind of automatic watches?
    POM

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: prideofmatchingham)

To me its not interesting at all! It is NOT a Seth Thomas, as we know and loved 'Seth Thomas'
    Its a swiss movement (I guess) that someone has put in a case and marked Seth Thomas. He may have well marked it Breguet or Graham, or Earnshaw! It has NOTHING to do with the original great manufacturers.
    You should not be misled by its 'rarity' - it only shows it had little success.
    That said, if YOU like the looks of the watch that is fine, but forget Seth Thomas

These are my personal opinions

Regards
    NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
    www.nawcc.org

Default Re: Seth Thomas Wristwatch (RE: Adam Harris)

Thanks for frank opinion,Adam

No, not for looks, I really bought it for Seth Thomas. If its a done dial, well I have been fooled. Once I get the pictures of mechanism, will post them.
    POM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prideofmatchingham View Post
    Thanks for frank opinion,Adam

No, not for looks, I really bought it for Seth Thomas. If its a done dial, well I have been fooled. Once I get the pictures of mechanism, will post them.
    POM
    I am sure it IS a Seth Thomas - but who cares? Seth Thomas NEVER had ANYTHING to do with this. If it was marked Brequet it would still be worth nothing!
    NAWCC seeks to encourage and stimulate interest in the art and science of timekeeping.
    www.nawcc.org

SO, it is just some mechanism, some dial and painted and a name put and marriage registered-which for all you know could have been any other name!

I agree with Adam on this one. Even at the beginning of the thread it's clearly noted that Seth Thomas had nothing to do with wrist watches of this era. It's labelled in name only. Doesn't really matter what the movement is, you know what it isn't, and that's a Seth Thomas!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prideofmatchingham View Post
    SO, it is just some mechanism, some dial and painted and a name put and marriage registered-which for all you know could have been any other name!
    Yes. Do a search of Graham watches.
    They use the name of George Graham - BUT they have NOTHING at all to do with THE great watch maker George Graham.
    www.nawcc.org