Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3324 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered user.

Default How to take back off Wittnauer (RE: Doug Campbell)

Not sure if I should post this here, or on the tools board. I just purchased a box of misc. wristwatches. In the box is a rather attractive mans automatic Wittnauer. The case back is stamped "use all proof 1200 wrench". What is this wrench, and where can I get one?

Doug

Registered user.

Default How to take back off Wittnauer

Not sure if I should post this here, or on the tools board. I just purchased a box of misc. wristwatches. In the box is a rather attractive mans automatic Wittnauer. The case back is stamped "use all proof 1200 wrench". What is this wrench, and where can I get one?

Doug

Blog Entries

Doug,

I suspect the watch you refer to is what is often called a "one piece case". There IS no back to remove! The tool they refer to is a tool that shrinks the crystal so it can be removed without marking it. The movement comes out through the front of the case. I doubt you'll find this tool outside of an NAWCC Mart somewhere. I have a busy week end in front of me. If nobody comes up with a better answer, I'll post a picture of the tool you refer to.

Doug S.

Doug,

If I understand what Doug S. is referring to, go to http://www.tztoolshop.com/FB_Catalog...cessories.html and look at the Bergeon Crystal Lift. That is how I had to get at my Glashutte movement and my Hamilton movement.

Regards,

Hank

Blog Entries

Hank,

It's too late tonight to do it. Been away all day. I'll post a picture of the tool tomorrow. (It's still Saturday here).

Doug S.

Oh the strange things that happen. Yesterday, I purchased a Wittnauer ww. Mine says use an all proof 1100 wrench. Guess the difference must be in the diameter of the watch. From looking at mine, I kind of guessed that the back did not come off. There are some scratches along the rim of the SS back that looks like someone tried to remove the back with a pair of pliers. Not really bad, and didn't damage the watch.

Tom

Tom Huber

Blog Entries

Doug & Tom,

The "All-Proof 1200" wrench for Longines and Wittnauer crystals.

the tool

Doug S.

Registered user.

Doug S.

Simple, but interesting looking tool! I guess now, I'll have to go on the hunt to find one, or not be able to clean my new find!

Doug

Doug S. Thanks. I just used my regular plastic crystal remover. Put it on the watch, compressed the crystal, checked the movement, and replaced the crystal. No problem at all.

Tom

Tom Huber

Blog Entries

Tom,

The wrench I mentioned will do the job without leaving marks around the edge of the crystal. On a new watch, this is good. If I were in your situation and I didn't own that wrench, I'd have done what you did. Back in the days when we used to run into quite a few Longines and Wittnauer watches with one-piece cases, that wrench got a lot more use than it gets today. I suspect that by now, Doug Campbell will have done the same as you did.

Doug S.

Doug,

The "magic fingers" version (Bergeon" doesn't always work. Note that the description in Frei and Borel says "...crystal without tensioning ring." I can attest to the fact that it doesn't always work with a crystal with a tenstioning ring.

bbwatch

Just for my edification, what exactly is a tensioning ring? Is it the extended lip of the crystal?

Thanks,

Hank

Blog Entries

Hank,

I have enclosed pictures of two "armored" (WRA, with ring adaptor) crystals to answer your question. The one on the left with the white ring is upside down, showing the backside of the ring which is unpolished, and flat. The ring is on top of the crystal. The one on the right with the yellow ring is shown face up. Crystal on top of the ring, the ring showing the polished, chamferred side up (reflector). In these crystals, there is a shelf inside the edge of the crystal, and the O/D of the ring
    is the same as the I/D of the crystal. The ring sits flush inside the crystal, face up (as on the right). Exactly the correct diameter for the recess in the case is chosen, and the crystal is pressed into place. Generally, once properly fitted, these crystals stay tight once in place, and the reflector ring adds a finished touch. The tool that was originally discussed will put these crystals in and take them out without leaving marks. The other one (pictured elswhere here) with all the fingers, marks them up quite a bit as a rule.

wra crystals

Doug S.

Larry Horton

Once the crystal is off, how do you remove the crown so that the movement will come out?

Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Campbell:

Doug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry,
    OK so you have the xtal off-right?
    You have a one piece case-right.
    So then you ,in all probability, have a two piece stem(male/female).
    Use the tool of your choice.
    Grasp directly behind the crown.
    Give a smooth but deliberate jerk.

Most often you may have to take a small driver etc. and push the remaining stem(in case) back to wind position.
    The other portion of the crown should be out with your jerk movement. The movmt should now come out of the case.
    Let me know how you made out. You won't hurt it--as Nike says--just do it.