Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2960 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: British United

Default British United (RE: M. Lorraine)

I have a clock stamped "The British United Clock Co. Ltd., Birmingham, England". I have not been able to find any information on this company. Can anyone tell me anything about it. Thanks.

Default British United

I have a clock stamped "The British United Clock Co. Ltd., Birmingham, England". I have not been able to find any information on this company. Can anyone tell me anything about it. Thanks.

There are a couple of discussions on this board on British United. Type 'British United' into the find box. Also, I think there have been some articles in the NAWCC Bulletin. You can check the index on the NAWCC site.

I have seen clocks marked British United that looked identical to clocks made by Ansonia, and I've wondered whether there was any connection between the companies.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. I had tried that already but I guess I did not have something right. This time I found those discussions. I'll give them a read.

I looked at the posts and I could not find anything specific about the British United Clock Co.. I am interested in know when it was operational, what kind of clocks they made etc.

Mike Phelan may can shed some light on this subject.

Registered user.

Somewhere in my forgettory I have seen this on a clock - I think there was a BUCC logo.

What age is your clock, ML? Can we have a picture, please?

I have a vague idea they were around in about 1900.

There is a company history here but you have to pay for it. :frown:
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Hi,
    The British United Clock Company was formed in 1885 and are an interesting company as they played an important role in the history of the changes occuring in the manufacturing methods of English clockmaking towards the end of the 19th century. They were one of the few English companies who realised that factory methods were here to stay as was the demand for affordable clocks. They did not use Ansonia movements or parts and in fact they made all their own tools and parts and were direct competitors of American makers. They won awards at Adelaide(1887), Melbourne & Sydney(1888)and at the French International Exhibition 1889 they won a prize medal with the comment "Good conception of calibre, sound workmanship in their tools, excellent taste in their decoration, qualities that place them above their American rivals".

Their Birmingham factory covered 3 floors, 1,250 square yards with 250 employees, 150 of whom were girls. They made a wide variety of high quality clocks which are quite collectable. The company went out of business in 1909, the main reason probably being the competition from cheaper lower quality German imports and their failure to recognise that maintaining a higher quality meant they could not compete. Their logo was a triangle with a circle inside divided into 4 sections with the initials BUCCo in each quarter.
    Jonathan.

There's quite a bit available about the British United Clock Company, as for example a longer entry on page 197, in Shenton & Shenton's (1985) _The Price Guide to Collectable Clocks, 1840-1940_, which includes the information Jonathan kindly provided above, as well as photos.

The firm also figures in quite a few discussions about so-called Anglo-American clocks. And in CLOCKS magazine alone there are the following references, using Edward Powell's _Cumulative Index_, through 1998 (volume/number/page that reference begins):

V1N6p39 V3N3p12 V6N3p45 V7N7p16 V10N8p59 V11N8p58 V14N9P19 V16N4p26 V16N11p30 V17N11p21 V17N11p31 V20N8p17 V21N5p39

My impression is that what is being charged for by some sources is freely available elsewhere, as in the Shenton & Shenton material. Or through checking to see what these several CLOCKS Magazine references contain. The NAWCC Library has a full-set of CLOCKS.

Regards, Duck

P.S. Have always hoped with that "BUCC" abbreviation that we'd sometime have a chance to say "the BUCC stops here!"

Thanks Jonathan for all the information. That is what I was looking for.

Duck - Thanks also for your information. I will have to see if I can access the book and magazines you mentioned.

Mike I am going to try and post some pictures. I only have a webcam so the quality is not too good but it should give you some idea of what the clock looks like.

The clock is 5 3/4" tall and the dial is porcelain with what appears to be a metal center. The back reads "Patent - Great Britian & France, Manufactured by The British United Clock Co. Ltd., Birmingham, England". On the frame there is a registration number which I think is 186050 - I am guessing at the 5 as it is not all there.