Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2960 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    smliquor

Default Fathers Bulova 1940? 21 jewel wrist watch

My fathers estate left me a 21 jewel Bulova wrist watch I think is from the 1940's. Where can i find out information using the SN on the back of the case?

Thankyou
    Scott

smliquor

Default Fathers Bulova 1940? 21 jewel wrist watch (RE: smliquor)

My fathers estate left me a 21 jewel Bulova wrist watch I think is from the 1940's. Where can i find out information using the SN on the back of the case?

Thankyou
    Scott

Scott,

You might be SOL.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Watch Guy says:
    There are many Bulova watches with serial numbers. However, these numbers are for identification purposes only. There are no number tables that I am aware of to cross reference the date of manufacture with the serial number. The serical numbers were simply for identification purposes only.

In the late 40's Bulova began using a series of codes to denote the manufacture date. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I'm servicing a 30's model - same problem.

regards,

S- For dating some early Bulovas by movement markings use the FIND feature above and search for "older bulova marks". Then open the link leading to a reference table.

Also examine the inside back of your watch for early service markings by watchmakers. They are sometimes dated. Well maintained watches were usually serviced every 1-2 years. Obviously this is not a precise method but may furnish a close date.

For numerous past inquiries pertaining to dating Bulovas- again use the FIND feature and word search "bulova date".

Be aware that dating watches by case serial number is not precise as movements were interchangeable and case replacement was common practice. Is the watch case made by Bulova?

Furnish photographs of your watch and the movement. Someone may be able to estimate a date for you. Or let us know what you find out.
    Frank