Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3044 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Gotham Watch

justamy

Default Gotham Watch

I have a vintage watch that belonged to my grandmother. I was hoping someone on this site could provide more information based on this description. The watchband is a silver link band with a clasp. The top of the glass watch face opens up and the watch itself sits within this rectangular case (almost like a locket). The only wording on the band is 'Hadley' in an oval with the words 'pat. pend' below. The watch is rectangular with blue colored hands and a blue jewel-like wind up piece. (sorry if my terms are not accurate). The back of the watch states 'Gotham Watch Co.','6 six jewels','2 two adjustments', and 'swiss'. I did wind the watch and everything appears to be working. The watch is rather pretty...and I would like to know about the history of the watch. Thank you to anyone who may be able to provide any info!

justamy

Default Gotham Watch (RE: justamy)

I have a vintage watch that belonged to my grandmother. I was hoping someone on this site could provide more information based on this description. The watchband is a silver link band with a clasp. The top of the glass watch face opens up and the watch itself sits within this rectangular case (almost like a locket). The only wording on the band is 'Hadley' in an oval with the words 'pat. pend' below. The watch is rectangular with blue colored hands and a blue jewel-like wind up piece. (sorry if my terms are not accurate). The back of the watch states 'Gotham Watch Co.','6 six jewels','2 two adjustments', and 'swiss'. I did wind the watch and everything appears to be working. The watch is rather pretty...and I would like to know about the history of the watch. Thank you to anyone who may be able to provide any info!

Blog Entries

justamy,

I was hoping someone could give you hard-edged information about your watch, but to this point, that hasn't happened. So I'll take a crack at it.

You say that the "top of the glass watch face opens up". That is rather a vague description, but I am going to assume that the crystal and face of the watch has a hinged cover that opens to reveal the time? If I am correct, this style of watch is typical of a style of "fashion" watch from the the 1950s, and was sometimes called a "cocktail" watch. These would be considered a "novelty" watch, usually very lightly gold or rhodium plated and lacquered, sometimes with colorful decoration on the cover over the face, inexpensive movement in the case (i. e. 6-jewels), and of greater sentimental than intrinsic value. The names "Hadley" and "Gotham" are typical of the millions of different names found on "popularly priced" watches (read cheap) that abound all over the world. The names would appear to be meaningless, and useless in trying to pin down any information for you. Be glad that it runs because it is not a watch that you should spend any repair money on, in my view.

justamy

Thank you for taking the time to provide the info. I'm just glad to learn the watch is from the 1950's. My grandmother recently passed and I'm happy to learn any details about the watch since it is a reminder of her. It is one she must have held onto for sentimental reasons! Thanks, again.