Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4254 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    royonoco

Default Fattorini and Sons info please

Hi again all. I just purchased a gingerbread clock yesterday and would like some id help. The dial reads "Fattorini and Sons...Patent Automatic Alarm No 16226" There are two labels on the back.One reads..."Fattorinini and Sons ....Westgate and Kirkgate...Bradford" the second reads "Wood's PatentAutomatic 8 day alarm" then goes on with setting instructions.
    I would appreciate any thoughts as to manufacturer, location of manufacture,years of operation, rarity, etc. It appears to be turn of the century. It is running, so I have not looked at the movemnt. thanks in advance....Roy

royonoco

Default Fattorini and Sons info please (RE: royonoco)

Hi again all. I just purchased a gingerbread clock yesterday and would like some id help. The dial reads "Fattorini and Sons...Patent Automatic Alarm No 16226" There are two labels on the back.One reads..."Fattorinini and Sons ....Westgate and Kirkgate...Bradford" the second reads "Wood's PatentAutomatic 8 day alarm" then goes on with setting instructions.
    I would appreciate any thoughts as to manufacturer, location of manufacture,years of operation, rarity, etc. It appears to be turn of the century. It is running, so I have not looked at the movemnt. thanks in advance....Roy

royonoco

Hi. Sorry to waste anyones time. I posted the topic before checking the web myself. I quickly found that Fattorini and Sons were jewellers in Bradford UK. Westgate and Kirgate are either streets or Rail stations. I also found a picture of my clock(sold) that gave the following info...New Haven Clock Co made for English market ....8 day with alarm on gong and bell,no hour or half hour strike....aprox 1880. Any further comments will be appreciated......Roy

chasbaz

Hi Roy,
    My book [American Clocks for the collector by E.J.Tyler] mentions Fattorini & Co in Bradford. Incidentally, the 'gates' are streets - this is common in parts of the N of England because of Norse settlement in earlier days - 'gate' means 'street' in Norwegian. Tyler says that "Fattorini produced some 8-day pendulum-controlled alarm clocks which had an alarm mechanism almost as complicated as the normal striking work. There were two hammers, one striking a gong and the other a bell, and they were placed below the movement which had plates of the lyre shape suggesting the work of Seth Thomas but which nevertheless was stamped 'British Manufacture'. They may have been made by the British United Clock Co [BUCC] of Birmingham". If yours isn't marked this way it is possible that Fattorini imported from the USA before starting to have them made in the UK. Since the Italians were important in England for barometer manufacture in the C18 this may be where the Fattorinis started. How's that for too much information?!

chasbaz

Blog Entries

Fattorini was also a major vendor of Waltham watches in the UK.

Tom McIntyre
    NAWCC 2nd VP Candidate
    Tommy the JOAT's Web
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

royonoco

Thanks Chas and Tom.
    I found more pics and an article about my clock in the Aug 1997 Bulletin, pages 309-310. I looked at my movement and it is clearly stamped "New Haven "and their star. That article states it may have been exported by Chauncey Jerome and Co as an affilliate of New Haven. I thought Jerome and New Haven would have been competitors, not affilliates. Any comments?
    And Tom, there is a very nice gold Waltham on Ebay now,item # 2620302455, that is marked Fattorini and Sons. Thanks ....Roy