Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3733 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Elaine

Default Caravelle Transistorized mans wrist watch

I bought a Caravelle Transistorized watch at a yard sale for a nice low price.

Are these Caravelle Trans. a "sister" watch to the Bulova Accutron?
    Am I right that Caravelle was made by Bulova?

I checked my Cooksey Shugard book & found no info on this Caravelle Trans. I did a search on this discussion board & only found 1 reference to this watch but that was someone who needed to repair it & there were no responses to his post.

Does anyone know anything about this Caravelle Trans. The backcase has NO on it so I know that's 1970.

The movement is similar to Bulova Accutron, but this Caravelle has a mini transistor board (that I've seen in older Timex)& operates on battery. And it has 12 Jewels. 120UCD is on the movement(maybe the calibar?).

The dial & inside cover say Japan. The inside cover has "J-3019"

Below is a link to view the movement of this watch. Thank you for any assistance, Elaine.

http://members.sparedollar.com/watch...f/DSC00483.JPG

Elaine

Default Caravelle Transistorized mans wrist watch (RE: Elaine)

I bought a Caravelle Transistorized watch at a yard sale for a nice low price.

Are these Caravelle Trans. a "sister" watch to the Bulova Accutron?
    Am I right that Caravelle was made by Bulova?

I checked my Cooksey Shugard book & found no info on this Caravelle Trans. I did a search on this discussion board & only found 1 reference to this watch but that was someone who needed to repair it & there were no responses to his post.

Does anyone know anything about this Caravelle Trans. The backcase has NO on it so I know that's 1970.

The movement is similar to Bulova Accutron, but this Caravelle has a mini transistor board (that I've seen in older Timex)& operates on battery. And it has 12 Jewels. 120UCD is on the movement(maybe the calibar?).

The dial & inside cover say Japan. The inside cover has "J-3019"

Below is a link to view the movement of this watch. Thank you for any assistance, Elaine.

http://members.sparedollar.com/watch...f/DSC00483.JPG

Blog Entries

Elaine,

This Caravelle movement is electro-mechanical, with a transistorized circuit powered by a battery and it has a balance wheel just like a mechanical watch. It is quite different the Accutron which has a transistorized circuit as well, but it has a tuning fork. These are obsolete, so if parts are required, you have to hope that someone, somewhere has parts left over, or perhaps a parts movement. It is questionable as to whether you should spend any money on it. Hopefully you won't have to.

Elaine

Doug

Thank you for your quick response & information.

I guess I'm fortunate because the watch is operating & keeping accurate time.

If these watches are obsolete then is this watch is a good addition for my collection? And would it be considered a rarity? Or is it just a piece of working junk that has no collectable value?

Thanks, Elaine

Blog Entries

Elaine,

Everything is collectible to somebody, somewhere. Your Caravelle is interesting in that it is sort of a "transitional" watch. It fits between the earliest pre-transistor battery powered watches such as the Swiss LIP, the Elgin (neither of which ever reached the market to the best of my knowledge), the Hamilton Electric (which it might be said shouldn't have reached the market), and the advent of battery powered, transistorized electronic watches that had no balance wheel (Accutron, Omega-Sonic). It is part of the evolution of the electric/electronic watch, and as such should be preserved. By that token, it is collectible, but not many collect them.

Anyone interested in this subject of the development of the modern battery driven watch should get a copy of the book by Pieter Doensen
    titled "WATCH - history of the modern wrist watch" IBSN 90-5349-135-X, published in 1994.

Dan.

nograss

I have a ladies Caravelle(just received),the dial says ELECTROTIME, with the word SWISS under the 6. This is a battery powered with a screw-off back. The movement is Caravelle Watch ,6 UDC,N7, Swiss. The case back shows Hong Kong.Is this the "little sister" to Elaine"s watch. This watch uses a 392 battery. The Balance turns but the hands do not move.