Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4682 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    ford44

Default Waltham 16-A just curious

I have a Waltham 16 size, LS, OF, pocket watch with s.n. 33311824. Movement is marked 16-A, 21 jewels, 7 adjustments. My Waltham pocket watch identification and price guide tells me this s.n. (33311824) belongs to a 16 size, model A, 1621 grade, 21j, OF and PS. However this is a LS watch. Also Shugart's Complete guide to watches says the grade 1621 is 5 adjustments but my watch reads 7 adjustments. I guess my question is can anyone fill in the blanks for me? Do I have a missing link watch? Just curious. Thanks

ford44

Default Waltham 16-A just curious (RE: ford44)

I have a Waltham 16 size, LS, OF, pocket watch with s.n. 33311824. Movement is marked 16-A, 21 jewels, 7 adjustments. My Waltham pocket watch identification and price guide tells me this s.n. (33311824) belongs to a 16 size, model A, 1621 grade, 21j, OF and PS. However this is a LS watch. Also Shugart's Complete guide to watches says the grade 1621 is 5 adjustments but my watch reads 7 adjustments. I guess my question is can anyone fill in the blanks for me? Do I have a missing link watch? Just curious. Thanks

Steve Maddox

Without getting into the specifics of serial number lists, let me just tell you not to take everything you read in such lists to be written in stone. Some lists have been reconstructed from observed examples and are not entirely accurate, and even where original factory records exist, they're not always error free. It's known that often a few lever set watches were scattered into a run of pendant set ones, and vice versa.

As for the apparent variation in adjustment, I suspect that this is merely a consequence of interpretation. Your 16-A is a late enough model that it should have a "mono-metallic" balance wheel, and a temperature compensating hairspring. The combination of those makes temperature adjustment unnecessary (and in fact, impossible), but watches so equipped were often marked "Adjusted Heat and Cold," or "Adjusted to Temperatures." In your case, your watch is actually adjusted to 5 positions, but counting the heat and cold "adjustment," the total is counted as "Seven Adjustments." A similar situation exists with South Bend Studebaker models marked "8 Adjustments," and numerous other watches.

I hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

I used to have a model 16A, 21J. Mine was SN33,747,728. Mine was marked 5 adj and was lever set. This one was the first watch that I had gotten that had the setting lever at the 11:00 position. I traded it for another watch about 10 years ago.

Tom