Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3115 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    kevin-oak

Default Sewills - Moonphase watch

I just purchased a sewills moonphase watch. I haven't been able to find any information on them. Does anyone know of places to look for more information?

kevin-oak

Default Sewills - Moonphase watch (RE: kevin-oak)

I just purchased a sewills moonphase watch. I haven't been able to find any information on them. Does anyone know of places to look for more information?

Blog Entries

Kevin,

Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board!

There were several English watchmakers by the name of Sewill. One being John Sewill who was in business in the latter quarter of the 19th century. The watches of his that I have seen are of very high quality. Without more information, it is not possible for us to nail down which Sewill might have made your watch. Can you provide pictures of the dial and the innards (the movement), as well as the stampings inside the case back. We need good quality images, and particularly of the marks in the case back.

kevin-oak

Doug,

Thank you for your quick response. I am waiting for the watch to be sent to me, so I only have the pictures the seller provided. The picutres and information that I have so far is at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8906...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT &rd=1

Thank you again for your help. I am a novice collector and would be interested in making a hobby of this.

Kevin

Blog Entries

Kevin,

This watch is a Sewill in name only. Obviously a generic product marked with the name of a well known watchmaker of the 19th century. If you have aspirations toward collecting watches, buy what you like, but don't be misled by what people marketing watches like this say about their future collectibility.

The news isn't all bad--Sewills was a Liverpool-based seller of good quality timepieces. They seem to have gone out of business in 2004 and, if you use the FIND button on this page, you will be able to learn more from old posts.

Kate

kevin-oak

Thank you for your response Kate. I looked up both "sewill" and "sewills". It appears that "sewills" had been around since 1800 and made watches for the British Admiralty. They did not manufactur the actual parts but used Swiss movements.

As a general question, what way do you think the best way of finding the different models of wathces they made would be? I have looked at the local library in several books and have not found any information. I noticed that a past post provided an email address to try and contact the person who owns www.sewills.com. Hopefully they will also be able to provide some information. Thank you again for your help and information!

Kevin

I wish I could help more, but I don't know where you could find more info. Perhaps, since they were a UK company, visiting some UK watch collecting message boards would yield something useful.

Kate

Jason Jones

Hello Kevin,

I might have a bit of good news for you. Sewills did cease trading a couple of years ago. I believe the watch you have acquired is a quartz watch which they sold after the year 2000. Sewills never made watches during the 20th Century and beyond but did supply some really high end quality automatic and mechanical timepieces. There watches were supplied by manufacturers in Switzerland and mainly used ETA movements. I do know of a particular person who is still in contact with the original suppliers of watches to Sewills. So if you (or anyone) else is interested in the watches Sewills sold, contact sewillswatches@hotmail.co.uk, I purchased an automatic diver watch from them a year ago. I saved 40% on the Sewills list price, the only difference was they use their own brand name on the dial instead of Sewills. It is exactly the same watch because I lost my original from Sewills and replaced it with the one I have now. Good luck.

kevin-oak

Thank you for your response. I emailed the address and here is what was said:

Sewills was founded in 1800ad by Joseph Sewill, he started making watches and optical goods (telescopes etc). By the late 1800's "Sewills" were producing a varied range of horological items which in turnled them into producing marine chronometers. They won many awards for their products and even supplied royalty through these years. Another proud accolade ws the fact they were "maker to the Admiralty".
    At the end of teh 1900's Sewills commissioned items to be made for them and concentrated on selling as opposed to producing. They used only the fiest suppliers and their quaility was exceptional. Sewills changed hands several times until they ceased trading in 2001. Up until 2001 their focus was on quality, some watches they commissed were for the lower end market but were fine for the price. However, they kept with their tursted suppliers and continued to sell High End quality watches and clocks until 2001.

Thank you for the information and I hope you can post some pictures of your watches if possible! Thank you again.

Kevin