Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3088 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    donalkilalea

Default billodes 1889 pocket watch

I have a billodes 1889 paris silver pocket watch and am trying tofind out information on it .
    Was it one of the watches made for the 1889 watch paris show or what ?

I cannot find out much about billodes

donalkilalea

Default billodes 1889 pocket watch (RE: donalkilalea)

I have a billodes 1889 paris silver pocket watch and am trying tofind out information on it .

I cannot find out much about billodes

Most Billodes that I see are inexpenive watches made for the Russian or Turkish market. Usually hunters and usually enamel dials.

I have seen some with other manufactures names on them leading me to beleive they may have been retailers.
    Not sure though.
    Jeff
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Zack Bortolot

Hello! Billodes was a name used by the company that later became known as Zenith (which is still in business today producing high quality watches). They seem to have primarily been sold in the Middle East, especially Egypt and Turkey. If you search the old messages in this board (click on the 'find' button) for Billodes, you will come up with links to several discussions on the brand.

Hope this helps!

Zack

Note: Looks like Jeff Hess beat me to this one! Watch quality is of course highly subjective, and I think a lot of people don't like Billodes because the movements contain non-functional jewels. That said, the watch should be capable of keeping good time even though it is well over 100 years old.

donalkilalea

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by donalkilalea:

I cannot find out much about billodes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

many thanks for your help and this will get me on my way

Billodes was a trademark of the Swiss maker Georges Favre-Jacot (later Zenith). He and his company made high end complicated watches (including those for Faberege the renowned Russian jeweler for the Russian royal family). He had a wide range of product and Billodes was a later and lower end of his production - still in my opinion an interesting watch for any collection. Enjoy.

If you are interested in other production of this Swiss maker - see Georges Favre-Jacot thread in this forum.