Month's Goal: $300, Received: $340.00 - (114%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2055 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    daanberg

Default information on equity pocket watch

I would appreciate some information on a very nice pocket watch with following description:
    [B]movement[/B: Equity Watch Co, Boston, 15 jewels, nr.20544038
    [B]dial[/B: H.Morton Co. Oakland, Cal
    case: Made for Equity Watch Co Boston, Phila W.C.Co, Guaranteed 20y, nr.6144335
    Anything to say about year of production?
    w.k.r. Paul

daanberg

Default information on equity pocket watch (RE: daanberg)

I would appreciate some information on a very nice pocket watch with following description:
    [B]movement[/B: Equity Watch Co, Boston, 15 jewels, nr.20544038
    [B]dial[/B: H.Morton Co. Oakland, Cal
    case: Made for Equity Watch Co Boston, Phila W.C.Co, Guaranteed 20y, nr.6144335
    Anything to say about year of production?
    w.k.r. Paul

Registered user.

Default information on equity pocket watch (RE: daanberg)

By the # you gave this watch was made by Waltham Watch co and was made in 1916. Interesting that it has a private label the 15 jewel was I belive Equity's highest grade.

Blog Entries

Default Re: information on equity pocket watch (RE: Bill B)

I have a 15 jeweled Equity movement, but i do not have a pallet lever my serial number is 21119583.
    I wonder how difficult it would be to get the missing part.
    I have looked on Ebay and only saw the 7 jewel movements.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Default Re: information on equity pocket watch (RE: Kevin W.)

They should be the same or find a Waltham parts mvmt.

Blog Entries

Default Re: information on equity pocket watch (RE: kirxklox)

I just looked up the serial number on my watch.made about 1917 and the sz is 16.5 to 17 sz.I found it will not fit in a 16 sz case, so i guess i will have to hunt for a case.

Recently uncovered an old family pocketwatch, Equity, open case, 15 jewels, with s/n 20544687 on the works and 6331043 on the inside of the case. Also on the inside of the case are hand engravings, 4342, 152P, C11161.

From other inquires, this looks to be 1916 or so, but would love to confirm that and if anyone knows what the other engravings might mean.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: information on equity pocket watch (RE: bbaldwin)

The marks are shop record index marks for people who have worked on the watch. They have no meaning without the shop records. Some repairmen included the date in their marks, especially when working on railway service watches.

Default Re: information on equity pocket watch (RE: Tom McIntyre)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McIntyre View Post
    The marks are shop record index marks for people who have worked on the watch. They have no meaning without the shop records. Some repairmen included the date in their marks, especially when working on railway service watches.
    Any idea what a working model would be worth? Before I invest in replacing the main spring ($250) I'd like to know if it's even worth that much. Decent shape, obviously my grandfather used it daily, still has the pocket chain.

Blog Entries

Default Re: information on equity pocket watch (RE: bbaldwin)

Bb top of the page, can,t discuss values here.
    If it belonged in the family and you like to keep something a member of your family owned, go ahead and restore the watch.I have a watch with more in it than it is worth on the market.
    The price you mentioned for repair is likely clean oil adjust and replace mainspring.Not a bad amount of money for the required service.

Quote Originally Posted by bbaldwin View Post
    Any idea what a working model would be worth? Before I invest in replacing the main spring ($250) I'd like to know if it's even worth that much. Decent shape, obviously my grandfather used it daily, still has the pocket chain.

Hi bbaldwin:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

It is normal to compare the cost of servicing and repairing a pocket watch to the value of that watch as a collectable in order to decide whether or not to have the work done. However, when the watch is a family heirloom, the issue is much more difficult to judge, and depends upon one's sense of family history. It is one thing to have and display grandfather's watch (perhaps in an inexpensive glass watch dome). It is quite another to be able to wear it (running and keeping reasonable time) on important occasions, especially family occasions. Whatever it costs to service and repair a watch today, it will cost more (with parts being a little harder to find) ten, twenty or thirty years from now when you might want to pass it on to the next generation. Nobody can really advise you which way to go on this subject. Of course, personal financial circumstances must be considered. Each person must decide on his/her own.

Watches that are carried daily need to be cleaned and oiled at regular intervals. Railroad time service rules varied, but requirements for cleaning on a basis of once every year and a half were typical for railroaders at the turn of the century. By the mid-1920’s this was extended to two year intervals.

The “Sears, Roebuck and Co., Inc. Catalogue No. 104,” Chicago, IL, 1897, reprinted by Chelsea House, Philadelphia, PA, 1968 had this to say on page 371:

We Guarantee for Five Years All the movements sold by us. This does not refer to the life of the movement, but that we will for five years from date of purchase, correct free of charge any fault which may occur from defective material or workmanship. Any well made movement will run a lifetime if properly cared for.
    Remember That your watch should not run longer than one and one-half years without having the old oil cleaned off and fresh oil supplied. This must be done at the expense of the purchaser.
    “The balance wheel of all modern watches makes 18,000 beats or revolutions per hour; 432,000 per day, or 157,788,000 per year. An engine or sewing machine will be oiled several times per day, but we have known people to carry a watch for ten years without having it cleaned or fresh oil applied.
    “Usually, a movement thus treated is of no value, being entirely worn out. Take good care of your watch if you wish it to perform its duty properly, for it is a very delicate machine. Our charge for cleaning and oiling is 75 cents. The regular retail price is $1.50.”

Watch cleaning and oiling costs a bit more today than it did a hundred years ago. Check out What You Need To Know About Watch Repair at Wayne Schlitt's Elgin Website.

Also, check out Frequently Asked Questions on the Pocket Watch Site.

Also, Ed Ueberall, of The Escapement has put together some notes on the Use And Care of Your Vintage Watch that may be helpful.

Service Frequency
    If the watch is run continually, a cleaning and oiling is needed every 3-5 years. If you're only going to wear your watch occasionally, this ought to be done once at the onset and about every ten years thereafter. If you're not going to carry it (or run it), don't bother getting it serviced. Many of the watches in my collection (that aren't run) haven't been cleaned and oiled in 20 or 30 years or more.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
    Bb top of the page, can,t discuss values here.
    If it belonged in the family and you like to keep something a member of your family owned, go ahead and restore the watch.I have a watch with more in it than it is worth on the market.
    The price you mentioned for repair is likely clean oil adjust and replace mainspring.Not a bad amount of money for the required service.
    Very sorry. I have no plans to sell or dispose of it. I was only curious. It's family and will remain as such

bbaldwin:

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia