Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3509 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Where to hang clock (RE: ticktock)

Where should one hand a wall clock in a living room and at what level? A side wall?

Default Where to hang clock

Where should one hand a wall clock in a living room and at what level? A side wall?

Registered user.

Somewhere where you will not hit your head on it?
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Blog Entries

I agree with Phil's comment of trying to balance it with other wall hangings such as pictures or art work. Ensure that you consider winding and that the clock is not placed so high that winding is a strain or in a hard to get to spot like behind a sofa. I also believe that a nice clock is like a piece of art and like a nice painting should be anchored. By that I mean that it is nice to anchor or balance the appearance with something like a table centered below it. Anchor in this terminology does not mean attachment althought that is important. I like to consider the wood type to match the wood to other furniture, accent pieces or molding in a room. I have refrained from hanging clocks in a stair case simply because of the hazard of toting objects to include dry cleaning and etc. up and down and possibly brushing the clock. Position the clock so that it becomes a part of the room and not an object that looks out of place. Personally, I hate clutter. I also look for the location of studs when possible to use for secure attachment to the wall. My nicest setting is two Ansonia Capitol wall clocks that are located in my formal dining room. They are on the same wall and on either side of the china cabinet. They are in mahogany and the furniture is cherry. They match well in wood coloration and size proportions. Really makes the room spectacular. I have seen a wall dedicated to a family or series of clocks like Fashion Calendars that is impressive, but that is almost dedicating a room to clocks. I have no problem with it, but it is indeed a luxury. My last thought that I will add is do not forget lighting not to spotlight the clock but to add a warm glow to the area of the clock/art work as it is.

The best place to hand it is at MY HOME!

If you can hang it at eye level with the dial, and most important is the ability to wind it.

don
    Don
    Save all clocks for the next generation.

Man! I'm with all of 'em: Good suggestions - specially "wind 'em" One day clocks here are about 5', while 8/14's can be six to seven feet. BUT; I think you said, "IT" . Do I conclude you only have one clock? #1. I have only a digital alarm clock in my bedroom. If I had only one clock I would hang it where it is most visible in an area where I spend the majority of my time because I would like looking at it often.

If the clock has a strike and/or chime make sure the other side of the living room wall isn't a bedroom. The strike can sometimes be amplified and keep you (or someone) else awake.

If it's a cuckoo clock, ask a neighbor if they like cuckoo clocks and how much ( they like them ). When you wanna hear your cuckoo clock, call your neighbor around twelve O: clock.

Hi TickTock,

I'll add my two cents and apologize to any previous posters if I contradict...

I make absolutely sure my clocks (and my customer's) are hung in a stud. As you wind a wall clock you are putting pressure against the point(s) where it is mounted. This will cause molly bolts or plastic anchors to work loose and your clock could easily come off the wall. They aren't like pictures that just hang there.

As for where to hang it...The ideal spot would be an inside wall which doesn't get direct sunlight; isn't close to a heater/air conditioner vent which can blow directly on it; isn't close to an outside door where it could receive hot or cold blasts of air; isn't in a frequently used path in the house like a hallway; is located where it can be seen and appreciated.

Looking around my house I tried to find a wall clock that was hung in a place which met all of those criteria...I didn't find one. But they are all hung in a stud!

I agree that the larger a clock is it definetly should be hung on a stud. Escapewheel is right about the noise, after a week of my Welch wall clock stiking, my daughter finally asked me what was wrong with the house. It seemed every hour the walls would start shaking . One has to be careful which wall is chosen however. I have one wall in my house that no matter what I hang on it, the clock will stop after about 1 or 2 hours. When I hang it somewhere else, it runs smooth.
    Jim
    curious minds want to know