Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4106 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default List of all antique clock makers

I would like to know where I can get a complete list of antique clock makers. I have a gallery clock that I am reconditioning with no name on it anywhere. There is a Trade Mark just below the hand arbor with a circle, about 3/4" with a (S) in the center, that has diagonal lines running through it, and a solid (A) printed over the (S). I sure would like to find out who the maker was. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited to host the image of the trademark

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on January 16, 2003 at 13:34.]

Default List of all antique clock makers (RE: the menace)

I would like to know where I can get a complete list of antique clock makers. I have a gallery clock that I am reconditioning with no name on it anywhere. There is a Trade Mark just below the hand arbor with a circle, about 3/4" with a (S) in the center, that has diagonal lines running through it, and a solid (A) printed over the (S). I sure would like to find out who the maker was. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited to host the image of the trademark

[This message was edited by Phil Schilke on January 16, 2003 at 13:34.]

Blog Entries

Menace,

Your name Dennis by any chance?

The way you have written your question, it sounds to me as though the trade mark you describe is on the dial, not on the movement. It must be asked; is the dial original?

As far as a complete listing of all clockmakers is concerned, I am going to say that such a thing doesn't exist. One of the most complete catalogs of clockmaker trade marks I am aware of is Karl Kochmann's book of European clock maker trade marks. It has listings from French, English, German, and Austrian makers, and your trade mark is not listed. Of course I am certain that this book is only a compendium. I am certain a comprehensive list of German makers alone (for example) could fill six volumes! And it still wouldn't be complete.

There was a company (Swigart I believe it was) that produced after-market dials. Can anyone tell us whether the trade mark described by "menace" is the Swigart trade mark?

Doug S.

p. s. I have just answered my own question re: the possibility of the "S" logo being on a replacement dial by Swigart. The logo described by "menace" is not the Swigart logo. So I guess we are still looking for an answer as to just which company the described logo refers to.

[This message was edited by Doug Sinclair on January 15, 2003 at 7:06.]

jparker

I agree with what Doug has said regarding the ultimate book. I have a German clock made by Gottlieb Rohde and no one has been able to find this person as a clock maker or any info regarding the clock. I have attempted to locate the trademark you listed with negative results. Maybe if you send me a picture, I can narrow the search. Jim

The only book of clock trademarks I have found is really a book of jewelry trade marks, that includes some clockmakers.
    It is TRADE MARKS of the JEWELRY and KINDRED TRADES by The Jewelers Circular Publishing Co., New York.

This book has about 60 TMs from around the world. Menace, it didn't show the one you were looking for.

If anyone knows of a more complete source please post it. I am sure many on the list would be interested.

Tom Seymour
    NAWCC # 41293
    ### #104
    Tom Seymour

The trade mark is suspiciously Japanese. It is similar to many found on Japanese made clocks using either the Ansonia movement or replicas of the Ansonia movment.

Unfortunately this exact trade mark is not among over sixty identified in Charlie Davis' illustrated list. What do you think Charlie?

Les
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Les,
    This is also on the clock message board and I had indicated that I have never seen this logo. I feel it is Japanese though.

Charlie Davis, La Verne, CA
    Charlie Davis, La Verne, CA
    http://www.JapaneseClockLogos.com