Month's Goal: $300, Received: $110.00 - (37%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3655 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Held

Default Illinois serial number lookup (RE: Held)

I decided to start a new thread...is there an online source available for serial number lookup on the Illinois pocket watches? Thanks

3826xxx is the watch I am interested in...thanks

craig

Held

Default Illinois serial number lookup

I decided to start a new thread...is there an online source available for serial number lookup on the Illinois pocket watches? Thanks

3826xxx is the watch I am interested in...thanks

craig

Blog Entries

Just the Illinois CD available from Chapter 149 for a donation!

Craig, it would be easier if you gave us the full serial number. Within this thousand number serial range are two grades of 16-size, 21-jewel open-face pocketwatch. The first 600 are pendant set grade 606 and the next 400 are lever set grade 806. Some may have been marked as private-label watches for the Santa Fe Watch Co. As Jon said, there is currently no on-line source.
    Jerry Treiman, NAWCC member since 1971
    Charter member of Pocket Horology Chapter 174

Held

Thanks for the replies....unfortunately I don't have the rest of the serial number...I am going to request it from the seller of the watch and if they don't give it I will not buy it...

Jon what is the 'donation' or ..is there a 'recommended' Donation??

Thanks again

Craig

ljrusso

I am also interested in said CD....

Louis

Has anyone ever tried this CD in a Mac yet? I've been told it would probably not work but,
    I'm still hopeful.
    -Cort
    ps- Louis-Vanuatu- You lucky stiff!

Craig,

There are two possibilities for your watch (assuming the first four digits of the s/n are listed correctly):

3,826,001 - 3,826,600 = 16S-21J-ON7P-T3PI GRADE 606

3,826,601 - 3,827,000 = 16S-21J-ON9L-T3PI GRADE 806

There aren't a lot of differences between these two Illinois Grades. Several different damaskeening patterns have been identified for each, so no help there in distinguishing between them.

FYI, there were 7,630 made like this in Grade 606, and 48,820 made in Grade 806. Many runs of the 806 were sold as "Santa Fe Watch Co." Private Labels.

With respect to the Illinois database, I created it on a Windows computer, and have never had an opportunity to try it on a Mac. The software was converted to an "executable file" (*.exe), with database tables in FoxPro format (*.dbf). The photos are *.jpg files, so they'll show up on a Mac easily, and are accessed via any browser (Explorer, Netscape, etc.)

I made the database available to the public through Chapter 149 as a "fund-raiser" to help support the Chapter's horological research activities. Although I obviously am somewhat predjudiced with respect to the database, I believe I can state impartially that it's well worth the donation for anyone interested in Illinois watches (both pocket and wrist watches). I've been providing updates to the database (on new CD's available for shipping & handling costs only) rougly every 6 months.

For the casual collector, many of those who have a copy of the database are willing to help with an occasional serial number look-up (myself included).

Russ

I have a copy of this great cd and I must say, it's well worth the donation.
    Brian C.
    Brian C.
    Chapter 149 Member

Held

A big thank you to all for the offers to help and for the e-mail replies as well. Does one have to be a 149 member to donate for the CD or can anyone doante and receive the CD? Thanks again.

Craig

Blog Entries

Jon will accept donations from anyone. Member's donations cover the actual costs. Non-member donations are a bit larger to cover start up cost of new projects.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers