Month's Goal: $300, Received: $190.00 - (63%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3674 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    david bishop

Default let- down tool- homemade?

Hi

I've seen the let- down tool in the s larose catalog and was wondering if anyone has attempted to make a similar ( or not-so similar) tool themselves. Using a simple key to let down a mainspring is ok for occasional use but frustrating when you've got a few clocks. I think I've also seen somewhere that you can make a holder to hold the winged keys and was wondering if people find this method ok ( and safe).
    Thanks

David

david bishop

Default let- down tool- homemade? (RE: david bishop)

Hi

I've seen the let- down tool in the s larose catalog and was wondering if anyone has attempted to make a similar ( or not-so similar) tool themselves. Using a simple key to let down a mainspring is ok for occasional use but frustrating when you've got a few clocks. I think I've also seen somewhere that you can make a holder to hold the winged keys and was wondering if people find this method ok ( and safe).
    Thanks

David

Sure. Why not . I've done it. Probly most of us have. A decent supply of keys: Saw a slot in any kind of handle . . . . This just isn't the place to save money. The letdown handle and associated keys don't cost much and are safe. You know the ansswer is: "No the makeshift letdown is NOT safe." Save money somewhere else.

Registered user.

An inexpensive set of let downs would be the safest.

Blog Entries

David,

Another consideration: You don't say whether you have a mainspring winder or not, but the let down key with interchangeable arbors is necessary with mainspring winders such as the Ollie Baker. The aforementioned let down tool is much safer in the case of an accident than an adapter that uses a regular key. Both for the fingers and the clock.

david bishop

Thanks for the replies.
    I appreciate the comments on the safety aspects. I also had wondered if someone had come up with an improved method of letting down mainsprings, especially given the different arbor sizes and the fact that some arbors, when burred, are no longer true to size.

Doug, I do have a winder but it's not the Ollie Baker type. It's the older type and I picked it up at an auction years ago. It too can be dangerous- in the wrong hands- but I treat it with the respect that it deserves!

Regards
    David