Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3283 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don K.

Default How can I modify the bell's tone?

This clock's bell is very harsh, brass hammer on brass bell.
    What can I do to "tone" it down to a more mellow tone? I have tried covering the brass hammer with a piece of leather... toned it down too much and caused a bit of a "thud" at the end of the striking. How about a thin piece of nylon? Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Don

Don K.

Default How can I modify the bell's tone? (RE: Don K.)

This clock's bell is very harsh, brass hammer on brass bell.
    What can I do to "tone" it down to a more mellow tone? I have tried covering the brass hammer with a piece of leather... toned it down too much and caused a bit of a "thud" at the end of the striking. How about a thin piece of nylon? Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance!
    Don

WELKUM "DK"! Welkum to the epitome of clockdom - the nirvana of horology - the brain - - - oh forget it. You know it's all lies. Welcome DK. I can't see your clock or hammer. I don't have the password to your site and they'd probly not accept it from my IPO. BUTT. Hmmmm. Hammer problem; Hammmer. Hammmer. You did say "hammer" . Yeah! Well DK, your application of leather should have helped a lot. Did you adjust it after adding the leather to leave a gap at rest? It'll go "THUNK" if the hammer doesn't escape the bell after strike. You also could try - with or without the leather - moving the hammer as far away from the bell as possible so it won't have as much "attack". Far enough away, you should be able to achieve a nice pleasant "ting" as the hammer just BARELY meets the bell. Wanna try? Welkum DK! We're all kinda ding-y. You'll fit right in - a dead ringer!

Registered user.

Hi Don
    Do you think there is actually something wrong with the setup, or that it was always like that?
    Bells nearly always have metal hammers, you see.
    Is anything vibrating (bell or hammer) and is the hammer completely clear of the bell at rest?
    You need to pull the graphic off your site so we can see it, like Scottie sez.
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Don K.

Scottie and Mike,
    Thanks for your comments. Sorry about the picture... I have that corrected as you can see.
    This clock has been in our family for generations. It is in my care now and I am eager to learn a lot about it.
    This link will work if you have a minute...

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1306473

Adjusting the hammer-to-bell distance... I'll take a look and see if I can figure that out! Do you like the leather or nylon material on the hammer or is brass on brass best?

Thanks again!

Don K.

Adjusting hammer to bell distance will adjust the amplitude of the sound. I don't mean to alarm you but you may have to actually bend the striker arm to make the adjustment. Just form the arm a very little at a time and you'll be OK. One other thing you might consider is to glue a piece of leather to the front of the clapper head. This will also tone it down. You will have to adjust the strike arm to compensate for the thickness of the leather.

Tom
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Hello All, Iv'e used self adhesive Snooker or Pool Cue Leather tips with great success. Regards,Ged.

Some people cut a finger tip off their wife's leather glove and slip it over the hammer.

Cheers, Ralph

Registered user.

Ah - that's better, Don. I didn't realise was a proper clock!
    Are the hammer and bell both brass? I would be surprised the hammer is not steel and the bell not bronze.
    Anyways, Tom's suggestion to bend the arm is probably best - I would be loath to start gluing bodges on a valuable antique.
    Are both leather washers present on the bell stand nut, and the nut properly screwed on?
    It does look as if the bell needs moving down slightly past the hammer first so the hammer head is above the edge of the rim - they were not necessarily horizontal.
    All said, longcase clocks are rather loud - if you spent one on a year's wages, that would be the only one you would buy!
    Mine is quite deafening close up with the hood off, but that is its character.

chasbaz

Don,
    Just to add that to get a purer tone, make sure the nut holding the bell on the bell standard is tight - also it may help to place a leather washer under the bell. These bells are seldom quite round, so unless the hammer is really hitting it hard, in which case bending the hammer back is the answer, you will find you can get fine adjustment just by turning the bell a bit until the distance is just right.

Don K.

Mike,

Thanks very much. First, you were right... the hammer is steel, the bell is brass. I took the bell off and found no leather washers at all. But, what I did find was that the clock maker and one other Gentleman had signed and dated the underside if the bell!!! Samual Hoffard is the clockmaker... 1839 (last digit is hard to read) was the date.

Sorry for digressing! Question... should there be a leather washer at the top and bottom of the bell?

Thanks again, for your guidance!

Don K.
    Skaneateles, NY

Originally posted by Mike Phelan:
    Ah - that's better, Don. I didn't realise was a proper clock!
    Are the hammer and bell both brass? I would be surprised the hammer is not steel and the bell not bronze.
    Anyways, Tom's suggestion to bend the arm is probably best - I would be loath to start gluing bodges on a valuable antique.
    Are both leather washers present on the bell stand nut, and the nut properly screwed on?
    It does look as if the bell needs moving down slightly past the hammer first so the hammer head is above the edge of the rim - they were not necessarily horizontal.
    All said, longcase clocks are rather loud - if you spent one on a year's wages, that would be the only one you would buy!
    Mine is quite deafening close up with the hood off, but that is its character.

Registered user.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don K.:
    Mike,

Sorry for digressing! Question... should there be a leather washer at the top and bottom of the bell?

Thanks again, for your guidance!

Don K.
    Skaneateles, NY
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi Don
    I think so - most I have seen with them, but of course some may have been added in the 1800s.
    When nests of bells are used in chiming clocks they usually have hardwood spacers between them.

Let's not forget that all bells aren't great sounding bells. Some are just noisey and have an irritating sound.

Just an aside on this subject. I was called to set up beautiful antique tall case with a similar movement. The customer inherited the clock. I set it up and had no problems. However, the bell was one of the "not great sounding bells" I tried toning it down but it bothered the customer so much he told me to remove the bell. I couldn’t bring myself to do this, so I inverted it on the bell stand so the clapper didn't hit at all. The man was very happy and the clock still has its original bell for the next owner.
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Doug

I have one of the old Grandfather English bell ringers also.
    It has a 30 hour movement. I clipped one of those black binder clips (that you get at office supply houses to hold papers together) on the strike governor fly so it wouldn't strike the bell at all. By doing this it also allows the clock to run three days on a winding instead of just one by not allowing the clock to strike.