Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3155 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    shazndave

Default Need Help with 18k fob watch marked GUIVRE

Hi there, can anyone out there help with a 18k fob watch that I have, there are no markings on the movement at all, the case has 18k and the number 154172 and a hallmark of a womans head facing to the left (she is wearing a crown!) and then on the inner case is the word 'guivre' and the same number that is on the outer case. If it would help I could take a photo and post that as well. Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

shazndave

Default Need Help with 18k fob watch marked GUIVRE (RE: shazndave)

Hi there, can anyone out there help with a 18k fob watch that I have, there are no markings on the movement at all, the case has 18k and the number 154172 and a hallmark of a womans head facing to the left (she is wearing a crown!) and then on the inner case is the word 'guivre' and the same number that is on the outer case. If it would help I could take a photo and post that as well. Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

The lady is the Swiss Helvetia mark for 18k gold and the other word you are reading is probably "cuivre" french for copper I think but used for "metal" on swiss watches. This mark is often seen on the dustcover or cuvette of otherwise 18k gold watches.

Jeff Hess, guessing

shazndave

Thanks Jeff, any information (even guesswork) is better than I have been able to come up with! I have been left a group of pocket watches and know nothing about them (except they feel great and are amazing to look at!). I am trying to pick my way through all the bits of info in the books and on the web that I can find but may well need a little more help along the way so any help is greatly appreciated! Cheers, Sharon

Stan Gordon

Hi it is with great interest that I read your enquiry re the ladies fob watch, I have just inherited my Grandmothers Ladies pocket 18K watch, It too has engraved on the watch cover workings cover,the second cover, what I thought was GUIVRE, but on checking again I belive it is CUIVRE, the number is 119599, I`m very interested to try and find a little history of the maker and what the watch might even be worth, but I doubt if I would ever sell it, a local watchrepairer has overhauled it and just about rebuit it and it is now running in superb condition. if anyone knows any thing about CUIVRE i would be ever so grateful,
    cheers
    stan