Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

hendf

Default American Waltham Keystone Watchcase Silveroid

My father recently died and he left me his Father's watch. My son would like the watch.
    The information on the watch from face says it is American Waltham. On the inside back it says Keystone Watchcase Silveroid with serial number 8,119,592. On the back is a train. This watch would have been bought in Canada. Based on the Serial Number, I think it was made in 1897. The watch doesn't work. I think it was overwound. I took it to a Jeweller to get it fixed but he says they don't make parts for it anymore. Is there some place where I could have it custom fixed and is the watch worth getting fixed. I definitely want to keep it for sentimental value, but it would be nice if I could get it working again. My son loves pocket watches and that's what he uses.

hendf

Default American Waltham Keystone Watchcase Silveroid (RE: hendf)

My father recently died and he left me his Father's watch. My son would like the watch.
    The information on the watch from face says it is American Waltham. On the inside back it says Keystone Watchcase Silveroid with serial number 8,119,592. On the back is a train. This watch would have been bought in Canada. Based on the Serial Number, I think it was made in 1897. The watch doesn't work. I think it was overwound. I took it to a Jeweller to get it fixed but he says they don't make parts for it anymore. Is there some place where I could have it custom fixed and is the watch worth getting fixed. I definitely want to keep it for sentimental value, but it would be nice if I could get it working again. My son loves pocket watches and that's what he uses.

Hi hendf :

Welcome to the NAWCC Pocket Watch Message Board!

The American Waltham Watch Co. (Waltham, MA) had its origins in the 1850's. It was the first successful company in America to manufacture watches in mass production using machinery to make identical (or at least, near identical) parts. Over the next hundred years or so of its existence, its output of jeweled watches (over 34 million) was only exceeded by one other company, the National Watch Co. at Elgin, IL. Commonly referred to as "Waltham," the company made a full line of watches ranging from modest, affordable watches to some of the finest watches made in this country. An 1884 article on the American Watch Co. is available on Greg Frauenhoff's website.

You can find out some basic facts about your Waltham watch by entering the serial number on the movement (the "works") in the field on the Serial Number link accessable from the NAWCC Information Storage website. Don't use any commas in entering the serial number. There is also a Glossary of the terms provided by the serial number lookup. Note: When a number appears by itself in the Comment Column, it is the page in the factory serial list where the entry and explaination appeared. i.e. "Comment 42" is on page 42 of “Serial Numbers With Description of Waltham Watch Movements,Waltham Watch Co., Waltham, MA, 1954, (commonly referred to as "The Gray Book"). Or, a similar search may be done at the Swiss - Waltham Website. This website also has a short history of the American Waltham Watch Co. and other interesting information. But, as Tom McIntyre Pointed Out, more complete information is available at the NAWCC Information Storage website.

Should the date not be listed in the search of the NAWCC Information Storage - Waltham Serial Number Data Base, Oldwatch.com's Waltham Production Date Chart, or the PocketWatchSite's Waltham Date Table are a means for determining the approximate production date. In general, we think of serial number lists (not just for Waltham, but for other watch manufacturers as well) to only be accurate within a year or two at best, and recognize that there are numerous exceptions wherein which the dates may be off as much as 3 years or more.

For service, you might consider The Escapement

Click for info.

He may be on vacation, but he is due back shortly.

Good luck,
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

To give you some options of repairmen, here are a few links.

Members of Chapter 149. I can personally vouch for Harvey Mintz, Wes Boger and Mike Kenley. Harvey has worked on a number of my watches and has given excellent service and is quite reasonable. I have had work done by both Wes Boger and Mike Kenley and have been quite happy with the service and both are very reasonable.

Also, here is a list of NAWCC Members Links from the NAWCC main page. It will take some searching but you might be able to find somebody close to you.

And, there is the American Watchmakers-Clockmakers Institute. There is as "Find watch and clock repair stores in your area.

Or maybe one of the members that post to this board might be able to recommend somebody in the Colleyville Texas area.

Steve
    Steven
    Member of Chapter 100, Chapter 149 and Web Horology

Once you find the serial # of the "works" following Kent's instructions, you can then locate the info for your watch; e.g., grade, jewel count, movement size, etc. Since the watch has been in the family for a long time, I would suggest getting it running even if it turns out not to be a high grade watch; e.g., seven jewel.
    "Overwound" suggests it needs cleaning and oiling -- maybe nothing more serious. Good luck.

I will add another name to the recommended repairmen listed above. Rob Carter of Kingsport, TN has worked on 10 of my watches in the last 6 Months. He does excellent work at a reasonable price. Feel free to contact me for additional info.
    Tom Walker

Default Re: American Waltham Keystone Watchcase Silveroid (RE: Tom Walker)

Rob carter is very good