Goal: $300, Received: $55.00 (18%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4753 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    pongo74

Default Seth Thomas strikes too fast.

Seth Thomas shelf clock count wheel strikes so fast it is difficult to count. Clock would not be usable as is. The fan is tight. Touch it and strike stops. Hold it and stike won't start When stike is finished everything is in it's correct place .Hammer tail is between pins on the pin wheel.When train is locked the warning pin is a little over half way from the lifting lever. All wheels are in there correct place because each has it's groove, slot ,pins and everything they are supposed to have. The main spring measures 3/4" wide X 49 mm thick . Length is unknown. This is the same size as the time side spring. I suppose those are the original springs. Would it help to solder on two more fan blades making it a 4 bladed fan ?
    Should I install a thinner sring ? If so then is there a suggestion as to the thickness ?
    THANKS pongo

pongo74

Default Seth Thomas strikes too fast. (By: pongo74)

Seth Thomas shelf clock count wheel strikes so fast it is difficult to count. Clock would not be usable as is. The fan is tight. Touch it and strike stops. Hold it and stike won't start When stike is finished everything is in it's correct place .Hammer tail is between pins on the pin wheel.When train is locked the warning pin is a little over half way from the lifting lever. All wheels are in there correct place because each has it's groove, slot ,pins and everything they are supposed to have. The main spring measures 3/4" wide X 49 mm thick . Length is unknown. This is the same size as the time side spring. I suppose those are the original springs. Would it help to solder on two more fan blades making it a 4 bladed fan ?
    Should I install a thinner sring ? If so then is there a suggestion as to the thickness ?
    THANKS pongo

Blog Entries

pongo,

No shelf clock that I recall ever seeing had a mainspring as brutally strong as 0.49mm! I measured several springs for similar clocks currently in my shop and they are all in the 0.40mm range. I feel that changing the spring rather than changing the clock is the way to go.

David Holk

The correct for most ST time and strike 8 days is 11/16 x .0165 x 96, I am pretty sure.

David

Please don't add a blade to the fan, or we'll see it appear on the board under current topic botched repairs. Seth Thomas 89 movements used 3/4x.017x108. I have seen them with the standard 8 day replacement work ok, 3/4x018x96.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Pongo,

I don't have one in shop right now to measure, but perhaps someone in past has trimed length off of fan or installed a fan that is too small.

Maybe someone that has one in for repair and is reading this could give you dimensions of fan to check.

David
    David Robertson - Kingsland, TX

Well now there's this too: You could always install a spring- pressure brake on the paddle wheel arbor - have it tensioned so it applies enough load to slow the paddle to the desired speed then drill a hole in the movement plate and secure the loose end of the spring tensioner to the plate with a sheet metal screw.
    NAW! Just teasin'. But hey: In case you were goin' for the "most botched" award?

pongo74

Thanks to all who offered help on this. Doug, David, Larry, Phil and even Scottie. Scotties sounds a little too difficult for me to tackle. But it did give me a good chuckle. The fan Can't be any larger, it now takes up the full space. Adding two more vanes to the fan would definately look like a botched job. I installed a LaRose 0.41 and the stiking action is perfect. But I still wonder if the clock ever worked correctly with that heavy spring on the strike side. The heavy spring is still on time side but it is keeping good time.THANKS Everett Hoover (pongo)

No. It never worked correctly with that heavy spring installed. It could not have. And I'm not an engineer but consider this: Adding another paddle pair. It might go faster. You've reduced the airflow to the other two paddles by interrupting it with two more. O.K. I'm guilty. I considered once putting little lead weights at the extremity of the paddles in hopes of loading it!

Uh sure it makes sense Phil: I've just turned my guvnor into a flywheel! Thanks