Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3475 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Blog Entries

Default Dating a Junghans clock

A gentleman brought me a Junghans clock that he felt was from the '20's or so. After examining the case, I just can't help but feel it's much newer than that.

Can you help me date this clock? The movement is stamped in a star pattern with Junghans written inside in an arch shape (the J is part of the word, not centered as it is on the dial.) Under the word Junghans is the letter I in capital letters and beneath the mark is what I believe is the model number B19.

On the upper left corner are the numbers 104 1/8, which is the pendulum length, correct? Any help in dating this movement would be greatly appreciated.

Also, which books are the best for dating clocks? Thanks, Chris

Blog Entries

Default Dating a Junghans clock (RE: Chris)

A gentleman brought me a Junghans clock that he felt was from the '20's or so. After examining the case, I just can't help but feel it's much newer than that.

Can you help me date this clock? The movement is stamped in a star pattern with Junghans written inside in an arch shape (the J is part of the word, not centered as it is on the dial.) Under the word Junghans is the letter I in capital letters and beneath the mark is what I believe is the model number B19.

On the upper left corner are the numbers 104 1/8, which is the pendulum length, correct? Any help in dating this movement would be greatly appreciated.

Also, which books are the best for dating clocks? Thanks, Chris

Blog Entries

Anyone got a date yet? (Just trying to keep posting close to top of list!)

Picture of clock and movement would help a lot.

Blog Entries

Hope this works; I copied the link from flickr and pasted it into the url. Did I do good? Chris

http://flickr.com/photos/48302922@N00/?saved=1

Looks like late 18's at oldest - early 19's at newest.

Blog Entries

What's throwing me off is that the case looks to be dark stained pine, with no veneers. It also looks to have Luan plywood construction of the fretwork around the door. There's no oxidation on the back of the clock either. Looks like brand new wood. Does the hallmark and B19 help date the movement at all? Thanks, Chris

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Hi, Chris. Nice looking clock. That movement looks more American than German. I would agree with Scottie on the possible age. My wife won't let me go out on dates. Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Sorry, been on vacation for the weekend. Not to beat a dead horse, but did Junghans use solid stained pine on its 1900's clocks? Wouldn't all their clocks be veneered in fancy exotics? There is no veneer on the sides or bracket style base. Again, there is no oxidation on the back whatsoever. Where can I find a date by the movement hallmark? Thanks again, Chris

Greetings Chris -- There's a fundamental problem with identifying and dating Junghans clocks. According to Neher in his "official" 1961 history, Junghans turned out "far more than 150 million" clocks between 1871 and 1960. Which by the way is even more clocks than Stones' concerts! Yet there are no complete catalogues for any single year, let alone complete series of catalogues for all those years and all those clocks, publicly available. Similarly, to the best of my knowledge, there are no publicly available listings of from when to when which J movements were made in which variations, or which kin-novements (say those once HAU's or Becker's etc.) were taken over, or with which codes, and so on. The only complete historical catalogue runs that I'm aware of,as well as the actual proto-models of historical Junghans movements, are conserved in the Stadtmuseum Schramberg. There are of course bits and extracts of catalogues which have been reprinted here and there. Still, without the runs it would be foolhardy to say that J didn't make something. Especially with basic *case* styles which were made for well over a half century in all sorts of variations. The marks on J movements aren't proper "hallmarks" which allow one to date where and when something was made with reference to some validated listings. Yet short of writing the Stadtmuseum (see the "Find" files) you can find opinion aplenty. For instance, that case core looks rather squatty to me for the mvmt and dial. Then again <G>. Regards, Duck

Blog Entries

Duck:

Not quite the answer I had hoped for, but thank you very much for all the help on this one. He swears he remembers it from the '40's and his mother said it was always around before that. The case, however, just doesn't feel right. Well, I'll finish the repairs and send him on his way (he's selling it, but I just don't like it.) Thank you again for all the help, Chris

Blog Entries

Chris,

According to Karl Kochmann in his book of European Watch & Clock Trade Marks, the trade mark you describe was registered on 11/09/1917. Owing to the count wheel strike mechanism on that movement, a date around that time sounds about right to me.

Blog Entries

I've examined the movement up close; rather than pins, the plates are secured with brass nuts; perhaps a clue to a post-1917 age. I have Badische movement from the '30's that has a similar overall style. I think this one might be late '20's to early '30's. Thanks for the help with this one, Chris.