Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3572 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Need help removing rear cover on Swiss Army Watch

I recently purchased a Swiss Army Pocket Watch. It has a quartz movement and the battery needs to be replaced. Could someone tell me how to remove the rear cover so I could replace the battery?

Many thanks.

Patrick Roach
    Member # 12619

Default Need help removing rear cover on Swiss Army Watch (RE: pjerome)

I recently purchased a Swiss Army Pocket Watch. It has a quartz movement and the battery needs to be replaced. Could someone tell me how to remove the rear cover so I could replace the battery?

Many thanks.

Patrick Roach
    Member # 12619

If this is like the wrist watches,some of them are a bear to remove.I use the blade of a beauticians razor blade to get the back started off.Then use my regular bench knife.
    I get the razor blades,used, from a beauty shop down the street.They are stronger and the blade is not as wide as a mans razor blade.
    Hope this helps.
    J Smith

Thanks for the reply Julian. I doubt the pocket watch is the same as the wrist watch. A razor blade would be useless on the Pocket watch. I'm 99% sure (just by looking at it) that the back is not a screw back, but I have no clue as to whether I need a special tool to "pry" off the back cover. I'm hoping someone will respond who has actually encountered one of these and successfully removed the back.

pj,
    A word of warning from someone who has tried.
    I have at times held a watch up on edge on a good protective surface-thentook a case knife that fits in the groove and given the knife several teps with a small hammer to get it started. It can be done but you will feel like you need 3 hands to do it. Now back to the warning----Swiss Army,Fossil and some other brands are famous for being a real bugger bear when it comes to replacing the back. So if you get the back off--putting it back on will be a challenge --even with a case back press---GOOD LUCK