Month's Goal: $300, Received: $120.00 - (40%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3249 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cuckoo gong placement question (RE: mckpaul)

One thing missing on the cuckoo clock I'm working on is the back cover and gong. And there is a gong hammer. Have seen pics of back covers, have no problem making a new back panel that fits, drilling the hole, or buying a replacement gong. But, never seeing it to begin with.. it appears the hammer gets lifted and dropped using gravity (and a little help from the little spring) to strike the gong. Does the hammer strike that straight part of the gong in the middle of the coil? Does it normally 'rest' on the gong, actually touching it? Seems like it would breifly make extra noise breifly while it bounced to a stop if so. One good thing is that one roof panel is missing, and I plan to remove the other and make two new roof panels, so I'll be able to actually see the inside with the back panel on to set this up. Once I get the gong properly placed I'll know where to drill the viewing hole.

Also, my back panel is 7" square (actually 6 - 7/16") so what size gong should I go with?

Default Cuckoo gong placement question

One thing missing on the cuckoo clock I'm working on is the back cover and gong. And there is a gong hammer. Have seen pics of back covers, have no problem making a new back panel that fits, drilling the hole, or buying a replacement gong. But, never seeing it to begin with.. it appears the hammer gets lifted and dropped using gravity (and a little help from the little spring) to strike the gong. Does the hammer strike that straight part of the gong in the middle of the coil? Does it normally 'rest' on the gong, actually touching it? Seems like it would breifly make extra noise breifly while it bounced to a stop if so. One good thing is that one roof panel is missing, and I plan to remove the other and make two new roof panels, so I'll be able to actually see the inside with the back panel on to set this up. Once I get the gong properly placed I'll know where to drill the viewing hole.

Also, my back panel is 7" square (actually 6 - 7/16") so what size gong should I go with?

Yes, it does strike the straight part in center of gong coil. That should be horizontal.

Coil is very near surface of back wood panel. About 1/4" space.

The hammer rest in upward position. Watch hammer strike with back off and note height of where hammer strikes. Mount gong so wire is near that area.

You can tweak/bend the gong and/or the hammer wire to meet.

Experiment, till it sounds nice and has good resonating ring.

Ding................ . . . . ..

RJ
    Is FATCA going to be a slow drip to economic destruction or a gusher..?

Your suspicion is correct. Hammer does not REST on coil but rests about a sixteenth inch or so above it.

I posted pics in this thread:

old ref::http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4166015461/m/3221051361

Registered user.

The gong is usually a fairly thin one - very low note. It is screwed on to a piece of steel strip and this is usually rivetted on to the back door. The hammer should be fairly near to the attachment point of the gong - most budgies have a hole in the door to view the hammer.
    HTH
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Doug

Hi MCKPAUL,

I have lots of cuckoo stuff. I probably have a door with gong. I won't have a chance before the week end to search.

I will let you know what if find that is at least 6-7/16" square.

Hello Doug.

That would be cool! Let me know what you find. Meanwhile, I'll double check my measurement. Was using a regular tape measure with kind of a loose end. I used the 1" mark as a visual start reference, just want to make sure I didn't just read the other end and forget to take off an inch. Won't be ready for the back panel for a little while, got to basically get the rest of it done. Was going out of town this weekend, but with gas so high, may just stay home and see what all I can get done on it.

I DO have a gong coil and you're welcome to it. Now I do believe that size door MAY have had a larger coil but if DOUG has a door without a coil - you're welcome to this coil. N/C ( gratis )

Well thank you Scottie!

Looking back at my original post, don't know what I was thinking when I was typing, but the opening is just shy of 7" (confirmed that tonight), actually measures ALMOST 7" square, so what I meant to type was that my door will need to be 6 - 15/16" square so it will fit comfortably (plus the little lip at the bottom), not 6 - 7/16".

With a door that size, I could go with any size gong. I just may take you up on that. From your name, I'm guessing you're in Texas too? We'll see what Doug comes up with.

HEY MACK! Yeah - neighbors. I'm about a halfa beer easta Dallus. Son lives down in the NASA area.

Cool! I lived in La Porte for a long time, so one of my kids moved over near NASA when she moved out on her own. I've since moved out to the northwest side near Tomball.

On my post in Clocks, another Houstonian, Denis, jumped in to say hello. As I mentioned in that thread, this clock came from Tyler. I'm up that way from time to time to visit someone. I know there's a lot of antique places and old stuff in yard sales out toward east Texas. I'm guessing there's quite a few nice, old time pieces floating around those parts.

Doug

Hi MCKPAUL,

I looked through my stash of parts and found several backs, but all were smaller than what you need.

Sorry

No problem Doug, appreciate you taking a look. I can make one out of 1/4 plywood and stain it close enough to match.

Thanks

Hi Paul,

Haven't had the chance to jump in on this thread, but hello again!

Glad to hear you have arrived at a solution.

Turns out we're closer than I thought. I live just South of Tomball, couple of miles west of 249 on Spring Cypress. There are lots of great places to go 'bargain clock hunting' round here. Shoot me an email if you like and we can chat.

Denis