Month's Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 - (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3115 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kevin M

Default Grandfather Clock stopped chiming/striking

A customer of mine has a Grandfather Clock and from time to time it will stop chiming or striking for seemingly no reason. I have gotten it to chime/strike by rotating the CHIME/SILENT knob a few times and sometimes it will work. The customer said the clock repair guy said if the weights are wound too tight it may keep it from chiming and he advised to wind to a certain height, but I have proven this doesn't work all the time either.

About a week ago I heard the Chime sequence but then it seem like it went haywire as it never went to the STRIKE, just kept repeating the Westminster chime sequence. Did this approx 10-15 times (I lost count). Then 15 minutes later no chime and it hasn't chimed since. I tried my old standby of rotating the CHIME/SILENT knob to no avail this time. I also figured maybe the weights for the chime may have gotten stuck so I wound the weights pretty tight, but maybe now the weights are too high. Is there a way to release the weights to a lower level if they are too high? I figured there may be a release button of some sort that would release the tension of the weights so they can be lowered.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

K

Kevin M

Default Grandfather Clock stopped chiming/striking (RE: Kevin M)

A customer of mine has a Grandfather Clock and from time to time it will stop chiming or striking for seemingly no reason. I have gotten it to chime/strike by rotating the CHIME/SILENT knob a few times and sometimes it will work. The customer said the clock repair guy said if the weights are wound too tight it may keep it from chiming and he advised to wind to a certain height, but I have proven this doesn't work all the time either.

About a week ago I heard the Chime sequence but then it seem like it went haywire as it never went to the STRIKE, just kept repeating the Westminster chime sequence. Did this approx 10-15 times (I lost count). Then 15 minutes later no chime and it hasn't chimed since. I tried my old standby of rotating the CHIME/SILENT knob to no avail this time. I also figured maybe the weights for the chime may have gotten stuck so I wound the weights pretty tight, but maybe now the weights are too high. Is there a way to release the weights to a lower level if they are too high? I figured there may be a release button of some sort that would release the tension of the weights so they can be lowered.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

K

Kevin, you said 'a customer of yours'. Are you in the clock sales/repair business? I'm guessing from the questions you are asking you have little or no experience in clock repair. I would suggest that you have an experienced clock repair person look at the clock. A Herschede Hall Clock is not something you want to tinker with.
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Kevin M

No I do not do any kind of clock work, but I do wind their clocks every week while I am there. I have even synchronized their clocks to chime 30 seconds after the next so the clock that first chimes is actually at 1 minute before the hour, and next 30 seconds before the hour, a mantle clock is right at the hour, another quartz bookshelf clock is 30 seconds after the hour, and a small mantle clock 1 minute after the hour, and 3 others every 30 seconds. As you know with any non quartz clock the time varies, so I have to juggle the clocks timing every week or so to maintain this precise chiming sequence. All started with my Atomic Time from my watch.

Kevin M

I have read online that overwinding a clock is actually a myth, so why would the repair guy say that could be the reason why it wouldn't chime/strike on a few previous occasions?

Also even consciously NOT overwinding the clock, this problem still occurs, as this was the case this time.

Honestly if I were the people I work for, I'd get a second opinion as this guy works on alot of their clocks, but if this clock's chime issue is all a matter of the gummed up workings and not properly oiled up gears, then I honestly don't know what he is doing and why they'd be paying him.

You really shouldn't try 'fixing' it yourself, you will be putting yourself in jeapardy (damaging this type of clock can be very expensive) if you continue to 'tinker' with it.
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Suggest to your customer to get someone with lots of experience repairing Herschede Hall Clocks. Let us know where in Florida and maybe someone on the message board will have suggestions.
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Kevin M

You're really not "answering" my questions. Is it possible to overwind a clock? As far as me fixing or tinkering with the clock I havent tried or would consider doing that, I am winding the clock for God's sake thats all.

Kevin - I think the responders mean well, they see you getting into a liability position. It appears that this is not an issue, since you are friends with the people. Suggest to them that they have the clock serviced by a professional so they can enjoy it and pass it down to the next generation in working order. It's a great clock, and deserving of preservation. Who knows - if you play your cards right, it could end up yours This sounds like a minor problem, but is indicative of a clock neglected for a long time.

Kevin, you have said-
    I have gotten it to chime/strike by rotating the CHIME/SILENT knob a few times and sometimes it will work.
    I tried my old standby of rotating the CHIME/SILENT knob to no avail this time. I also figured maybe the weights for the chime may have gotten stuck so I wound the weights pretty tight, but maybe now the weights are too high.

I have read online that overwinding a clock is actually a myth,

Kevin, from what you have said so far
    1. You answered your question about overwinding.
    2. I have no idea how much more you would do to try to get it to work properly.
    I was trying to stress how important it is for you not to do any more tinkering for your own protection.
    RESPECTFULLY
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Kevin M

Thanks Shutterbug, I tend to assume they hire the best people for the job, as they know the value of someone knowledgeable in their respective field of expertise. That said the guy they have that services/fixes their clocks is a professional and is well renowned. I will have to ask them if this guy ever cleaned and oiled the workinging in this particular clock.

I noticed they bought some antique clocks that didn't have arbor keys and he sold them some to fit, one in particular slips on the arbor which is a pain in the a for regulating time on that clock.

shutterbug,-- friends, relatives, whatever-wouldn't he still feel obligated to make up for damaging the clock? A Herschede neglected for a 'long time 'most likely will need an overhaul.
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer

Kevin M

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This sounds like a minor problem, but is indicative of a clock neglected for a long time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shutterbug I tend to think it may be in need of maintenance, but the fact is the clock repair guy isn't a stranger he comes by every few months maybe more frequent even, which makes me scratch my head as to why this clock would be neglected considering this guy has worked for them for a few years now.

Kevin M

tymfxr, by your wording it's almost like you are saying I damaged the clock. I guess you aren't hearing me. I am basically saying the clock has issues beyond my weekly winding, the clock guy obviously hasn't fixed from the same problem it had happen a couple of years ago but it would work ok for a few months then stop chiming again. This has been an on-going issue.

Kevin, I said nothing about you having damaged the clock, I have said that you could damage it if you try tinkering with it. Read my posts again and I think you will see that I am only trying to help you to not get in a bad situation with your customer/friend.
    I have to go now-
    by the way- you're welcome.
    Mike C.
    Mike C.
    aka clock whisperer