Month's Goal: $300, Received: $240.00 - (80%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4277 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Overbanking

mailman Sam

Default Overbanking

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how I go about fixing a overbank pocket watch. The watch ran a awhile then it stopped. I can move the balance wheel back and forth then when it starts to slow down it stops abruptly.I tried taking out the regulator and balance wheel and putting it back in but still will not work.This newbie needs help
    Thanks in Advance
    mailman sam

mailman Sam

Default Overbanking (RE: mailman Sam)

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how I go about fixing a overbank pocket watch. The watch ran a awhile then it stopped. I can move the balance wheel back and forth then when it starts to slow down it stops abruptly.I tried taking out the regulator and balance wheel and putting it back in but still will not work.This newbie needs help
    Thanks in Advance
    mailman sam

Blog Entries

Sam,

It would appear as though you have been reading a number of posts on this board about overbanked watches and have applied that term to diagnosing your problem. There can be innumerable causes for watches doing the things they do, and overbanking is only one of them. I have some questions.

You said it was running. How long did it run?

Is it your watch?

If it is your watch, how important is it to you?

If it is not important to you, is it a "junker" that you plan on using for practice?

How long have you had it?

Has it ever run without problems?

Have you ever had it repaired?

If so, how did it run after repair?

If it has run for you, was it an accident that caused it to start behaving this way?

What make of watch is it, and which movement does it have?

What is your experience in diagnosing and repairing watches?

If it is NOT your watch, then it is more important that it be made right. If this is the case, perhaps you should solicit some help.

You really don't give enough information in your post for a person to set out to be able to help you.

Get back to us with more information and maybe we can help.

Doug S.

many possibilities but one that seems very unlikely is overbanking. This term describes a balance having too much motion so the impulse pin goes arond far enough to hit the lock lever and try to push it inot the banking.

Sometimes when this occurs, or the watch get jarred, or the balance is put in out of phase the lever fork and impulse pin get on the wrong sid eof eacgh other. This is called a mis lock. WHne this occusrs the balance turn freely until it hits teh lever and bounce teh overway without getting impulse. This also does not match your description.

It th balance swings freely and then slows and stops but the remains able to swing freely it is probably debris in the power train. This prevent mainspring power from getting to the balance.

When the balance is going see if the escape wheel, the one with the long teeth is turning one tooth each time the balance wheel swings, if not the gear train is blocked.

Dr. Jon